• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Manor Transport Museum

Hi Dave, Looks like the land that the Aston Villa Academy is built on didn't have any buildings on it connected to the Tram Depot across the road. In the Wikipedia site about the development of Aston Villa Football Ground over it's time at Witton, the land was part of the Lower Grounds Leisure place and further extensions to the Witton End took place around the time the Tram Depot was built. The land was steeply banked for terraces. The Post Office Telephone Depot was built there later and then demolished. My memories are of billboards facing out into Witton Lane after WW2. Would be nice to see some photos if possible. Someone else on the Forum might have some.

Pete said the buildings were used by Ansells as a garage and thinks later they were used by cricketers to practice in the nets?. No photo's Jenny but I can tell you a chap who worked on the lorries there [Vinve] did a streak round Witton Island. Don't know why that came to mind???. Jean.

I too remember it being used by Ansells, it later bacame know as Stumps where it was used for indoor cricket.

Thankfully the museum has found new premises and moving the collection has been in full swing for a number of weeks now. The new building is in Shenstone Drive, Aldridge about 300 yards away from the previous place which at least means transport costs were kept to a minimum. Its early days yet but there is a hope that the museum can re-open around Easter next year, we have had false dawns before but hopefully this time we will get there. The building will need some alterations but where there is a will there is a way. Aldridge was the preferred location for a few reasons, the volunteer numbers increased greatly since the museum first moved to the town and the open days held there brought in record numbers of visitors. It also has to be admitted that Walsall council have been more supportive than Birmingham City council. Aldridge is at least close to Brum, in mileage terms it is a similar distance to the north as Wythall Transport Museum is to the South.

Simon

Many thanks Simon I was only the other day wondering what was happening.

Thats great news Simon I am sure you will get a lot of support from the locals and well done to Walsall council. Onward and upward.

Meet Aston manor Transport Museum in their new home.

This Sunday, 20th January 2013, the museum will be holding a ‘Meet the Museum’ event, where the general public can pop in, take a shufty around and hopefully help shape this valuable collection’s future.

The people behind this museum really want to meet you, and hear what you have to say – the event runs from 2pm to 5pm, is free to attend (donations welcome!) and there will be a presentation about it all at 3pm.

https://brownhillsbob.com/2013/01/1...ansport-museum-in-their-new-home-this-sunday/

Thanks for that Morturn, sounds interesting, lets hope the snow doesn't scupper it for them.
Nice to see they are hoping for an open day in March too with he buses running.
Sue

Made it to the open day today, roads bad on leaving

Attachments

• AMRTM 2013001.jpg
    AMRTM 2013001.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 40
This Sunday, 17th March 2012, the museum will be holding a ‘Museum Re-Awakening’ event, where the general public can pop in, explore, take a ride on vintage busses, browse stalls of transport ephemera, have a shufty around and hopefully help shape this valuable collection’s future.The people behind this museum really want to meet you, and hear what you have to say – the event runs from 10am to 5pm, is £5 for adults, £4 for kids or £15 for a family ticket. Vintage bus rides are free once you’ve paid entry.There will be presentations about the museum at 12:00pm and 2:30pm.This is sure to be a great event – please do pop along. The collection needs the support of the public to survive, and it really is a wonderful thing.Why not check out the museum website or their Facebook group?

I would love to attend this event ,but on Sunday we are loaning 3 of our vehicles to Coventry transport museum for an emergency services event.I will look out for any future open days.Malcolm

Last edited:
I see from the events list that Aston Manor Road Transport Museum have an auto jumble and collectors fair on today.

Great news is that Walsall Council have granted permission to operate as a transport museum at Shenstone Drive, Aldridge. This is a really positive step as it means that we can open to the public for the first time since being forced out of Witton. The building in Shenstone drive does present some problems for the larger vehicles but hopefully in the near future that can be overcome.

The next event is Sunday 23rd June and is the Dalek Invasion where a number of Doctor Who type daleks will be present along with the usual heritage vehicles.

Simon

Back