• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Manor Transport Museum

N

Nostromo

I visited Aston Manor Transport Museum last weekend and jolly good it was too. Can I please say a big thank you to the chaps who work there for making our visit so enjoyable. I'll tell you something, though, it doesn't half make you feel old when things from your youth (in my case, the old buses with open access at the rear and conductors) are now museum pieces!

AMTM is on my list for when I visit Brum later this year. I know that they have a Midlands Electricity van from the l950`s like my father drove.
Looking forward to visiting.

jenny my youngest is a bus entheusiast and hes visited the museum..said it was a great afternoon.....

lyn:):):)

Lots of bus enthusiasts around it seems in Brum. A friend of mine was treated to a bus drive for his birthday by his wife through the SPICE group in Brum. He was in bus heaven going round the track.

Hello there, some years ago my brother in law live at Tile Cross in one of
those high raise flats and when we visited them which was quite often, my
wife thought the world of Hoss, we always finished at Coventry. The Motor
Museum there in those days was really wonderful. To see all the old cars,
many of them made in the City, and Birmingham of course was first class,
as I remember it wasnt much to go in. Is it still there? Iknow it was being
relocated somewhere.Quote; Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once! Bernard67Arnold:cool:

The Museum is in danger of closing I believe-due to withdrawal of funding from the City Council--does anyone know more about this? It would be a tragedy if the museum closed

svrman, yes thats true, I visited the museum to finalise arrangements for the Outer Circle Bus Trip, and was told about the problems regarding the future of the museum, just hope they can sort out some form of funding before it's too late. There are some details on their website.

https://www.amrtm.org/future.html

Colin

Sorry svrman, yes Aston Manor transport Museum are arranging the day, but I don't even know what The Hercules 100 is.

Colin

Just to bring the story up to date, Aston Manor is still in grave danger of closing. Negotiations with Birmingham City Council are continuing but the latest meeting still hasn't bridged the gap between the two parties mainly because of the unrealistic value the council are putting on the property. Recent offers are not in the financial reach of the museum. This is a great museum with friendly and welcoming volunteers so hopefully there will be a good news story at the end of all of this.

Thank you for the update. I hope common sense will prevail. I wonder why the council want the place there are so many open area's and closed up places in Aston it's nice to see something that is working.

hi 6918..this latest update is not what we in brum want to hear..not only is the tram building itself of great historical interest but its also houses so many of our wonderful old vehicles...like wendy i do hope that some agreement may be reached to save it....

lyn

I agree with all that has been said before
Lyn
I was interested in your phrase:
"also houses so many of our wonderful old vehicles...like wendy" !
Mike

I agree with all that has been said before
Lyn
I was interested in your phrase:
"also houses so many of our wonderful old vehicles...like wendy" !
Mike

:D:D mike i didnt really mean that wendy is a wonderful old vehicle...but there again you knew thats mike....:headhit::headhit:

Ha Ha just the tonic I needed today I love being called an old vehicle if it helps bring it on.....lol Save our bus museum....!!!!

Ha Ha just the tonic I needed today I love being called an old vehicle if it helps bring it on.....lol Save our bus museum....!!!!

wend..ive been told more than once ive got a face like the back of a bus so dont worry about it..:D:D

I bet that the council have had enquiries about developing the area, thats why they are being so ridiculous with their estimates!! I will see if I can find an address we can all write to in support of the museum. We owe them a big thank you for their history buses every month!!

Back