• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Lane Board School

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
This school I can tell you nothing about other than the given name, the location and the date it opened which was 1886. So I cannot give any clues but I doubt that they will be needed going on performance so far.

Attachments

• Schools #4.JPG
    Schools #4.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 88
I think I'm going to have to give it to paulyx4 even though it wasn't Aston Hall Rd when the School was built in 1886. Who is going to tell me the name then?

When it was built in 1886 it was Aston Lane Board School, Alfred Street then became it's annex. I suppose it went through many name changes in it's life and even had to put up with a change in the name of the road to Aston Hall Rd. A good effort with nearly everybody getting a piece of it right. Anybody know when it closed I see they put a block of flats up in it's place, have they gone now?

Sorry Phil I don't but I am sure someone said when they thought it was demolished on the forum. Will take a look in the morning. Thanks again for your time and effort with the quiz.

This is from A to A

Administrative history: Aston Lane Board School opened in 1886 for girls, boys and infants, the Boys Department being housed in the former Alfred Street Board School which became part of this school. This school also housed a manual instruction centre for boys in neighbouring schools. A new Boys Department was opened in 1890 on the Aston Lane site and the Alfred Street building was altered and used for a new Junior Mixed Department. This department closed in 1921 and the Alfred Street site was abandoned. The school was reorganised in 1930 for senior boys, junior mixed and infants in 1930, the Junior Mixed and Infants Departments uniting in 1937. The Senior Boys Department closed in 1944. The name of the school changed in 1935 to Aston Hall Road Council School, becoming Aston Hall County Primary School in 1954. The school closed down in 1972 and the buildings were demolished.

The records are in the Central Library, but access is restricted due to the Data Protection Act.

Thanks Di for that information. Although only living round the corner I couldn't remember the exact name for it or when it was demolished.

Good Morning Di;
many thanks for that valued infomation it goes to show you that you learn some think every day on this forum
i can now recall this school and passed regular but never knew it wa a boarding school so thats great news and now i can tell our kid brothers ; well; at least two of them athey was born in lichfield rd like myself and i am older than them,
as i have started them off on the back ground of there routes of our back ground and they are staring to research our family tree ;
i myself have given them alot of back ground to our family tree ;
have yourself a lovely day best wishes alan; astonian;;

I went to that school and I didn't recognise it !!....I didn't attend the junior and infants school which was at the front of the school which the photo is showing, but the building at the back which were the annex for Upper Thomas Street senior boys, I think that there were 3 or 4 classes there all the while, and another 2 every day for metal work, and TD...., The entrance for the annex was close to the zebra crossing on Aston Hall Road, the one at the back was always locked, if you wanted to sneak out during playtime to miss any lessons you didn't fancy, you had to climb over the back gate and crawl on your hands and knees pass the school windows......then run like the wind up Priory Road.......

HI Aston lad ;
on the subject of demolishing the school and the bulding of them flats
a lady of kathy hollond and her husband ron ; was the care takers of them flats kath lived with her mom and dad in king edwards rd
ladywood prior to meeting ron and getting married he used to ride a motor scooter [ lambretter ]
then they moved out and took the flat and the job ; her dad was called bonner hollond and her brother was johnny hollond
he used to sing like mario lannser great voice john had just like his idol ;
he used to have a great motor bike he would take it up stairs every night to his bed room his mom used to tell our mom ;
but getting back to the school i can recall it but it was not all that often you would se kids coming out
and its only being brought back to my mind i do honestly recall it ; we used to get the tram down there and walk back
plus i would help the post man deliverying the post far down as i have said over the years before going to school
and the sorting office was in cheston rd and my uncle was the post master general there for years
is great to hear of peoplememories and i think we should have more of peoples memories of yester years; don,t you ;
best wishes astonia;;

Back