• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Cross

Hi Folks, when I think of Lichfield Road, Aston rightly or wrongly I think of Aston Cross; but in reality the shop on the pic attached could be anywhere between Salford Sports Stadium and what became the BRMB studios. 1956 pre-dates my school journeys along Lichfield Road as I commuted from Erdington to Hockley 1960-65.

Regards,
Peg.

Shop Lichfield Road Aston.jpg

When Peg says that it was under construction in 1952, I don't think that it meant that it was actually being built. It was there for many years before that. It was probably getting a "facelift", meaning removal of the sign.
Dave A
Hi Dave A,
Ansells was present in Aston from as far back as 1858, the construction of the building we all know and love started mid 1930's but due to World War II was not finished for some 20 years later (1950's) which indicates the subject pic was taken whilst the building was under construction, albeit the project took circa 20 years.
(See: Ansell's Brewery Limited www.midlandspubs.co.uk/breweries/birmingham/ansells-brewery.htm.)

Regards,
Peg.

nice photo peg....as its called slade confectionary i wonder if the shop is near to slade road but thinking about it i dont know if the lichfield road ends near to slade road...can just make out who runs the shop looks like D AND R HEWITT so a simple kellys look up should give us the exact location of the shop

lyn

peg monkey, 'SLADE CONFECTIONERY' would suggest the shop was maybe in Slade Road before Spaghetti Junction ? there were a number of shops at the top of Slade Road opposite the pub but they were demolished when the built the motorway Eric

thanks eric that is what i thought...unless someone beats me to it when i have time i will do a kellys look up

lyn

Hi Folks, when I think of Lichfield Road, Aston rightly or wrongly I think of Aston Cross; but in reality the shop on the pic attached could be anywhere between Salford Sports Stadium and what became the BRMB studios. 1956 pre-dates my school journeys along Lichfield Road as I commuted from Erdington to Hockley 1960-65.

Regards,
Peg.

View attachment 113828
Funny confectionery or delicatessen foods, Weights, Players please, Park Drive (twice), Senior Service, Craven A and another two that I cannot read...the PC lobby would have had a field day, then of course there was all that sugar in the confectionery and the salt in the pork pies in the deli (where they Marsh and Baxters?). Does anyone remember George Mason in Slade road with all those open biscuit tins and the big sugar sack in front of the counter not to mention the bacon on the slab at the back and the smell of smoked bacon and spices.

Bob

Those were the days before shoplifting became a fashion for some. :eek:
There were other items in a grocery store that were not packaged - lard, margarine, butter and cheese. I am of the opinion that WW2 was a factor in the slow down of pre packaged foods as so many brand names were submerged in the Ministry of Food directives. Boning bacon was a craft and rarely left to juniors to do. Sharp knives/cut fingers all come to mind!
Blue sugar bags were a well used item in infant school craftwork. I don't recall what items were made but wherever they were seemed of use at the time. :D

nice photo peg....as its called slade confectionary i wonder if the shop is near to slade road but thinking about it i dont know if the lichfield road ends near to slade road...can just make out who runs the shop looks like D AND R HEWITT so a simple kellys look up should give us the exact location of the shop

lyn
peg monkey, 'SLADE CONFECTIONERY' would suggest the shop was maybe in Slade Road before Spaghetti Junction ? there were a number of shops at the top of Slade Road opposite the pub but they were demolished when the built the motorway Eric

Hi Lyn and Eric,
Good, but is it Aston? First road on left on Slade Road is B23 - Erdington - I know what you are thinking could have been some license when the shop was named - Next stop Kelly's?

Regards,
Peg.

Funny confectionery or delicatessen foods, Weights, Players please, Park Drive (twice), Senior Service, Craven A and another two that I cannot read...the PC lobby would have had a field day, then of course there was all that sugar in the confectionery and the salt in the pork pies in the deli (where they Marsh and Baxters?). Does anyone remember George Mason in Slade road with all those open biscuit tins and the big sugar sack in front of the counter not to mention the bacon on the slab at the back and the smell of smoked bacon and spices.

Bob

Hi Bob, I remember those days well. especially aroma of smoked bacon, all that unwrapped food so unhygienic (?!) it's a wonder any of us are still here(?!).

Regards,
Peg.

cant be sure peg as i dont know that side very well..will get kellys out later on.but for now another photo of aston cross..no date but most likely taken when you were trekking around there on the no 8 and also when i was jumping the no 8 from nursery road to meet my aunt who worked at tubes..

Aston Cross Birmingham.jpg

Last edited:
cant be sure peg as i dont know that side very well..will get kellys out later on.but for now another photo of aston cross..no date but most likely taken when you were trekking around there on the no 8 and also when i was jumping the no 8 from nursery road to meet my aunt who worked at tubes..

View attachment 113848

Hi Lyn, thanks almost the very spot where I used to wait at the 64 bus stop; yep, date-wise seems to be about when I would be there.

Regards,
Peg.

Can just see George Mason's where my Wife worked for a time, late 50,s The photo appears to have been taken against the light making detail a bit dark to peruse. Eric

eric i cant make out any shops names...was masons to the right of the clock near the no entry sign or was it the shops to the left of the clock

lyn

Can just see George Mason's where my Wife worked for a time, late 50,s The photo appears to have been taken against the light making detail a bit dark to peruse. Eric

Hi Eric,
George Mason going - a real loss to the community, I recall they favoured a corner position - good strategy to be on two roads instead of one.

Regards,
Peg.

Jus

Bob
Just blown it up on the printer and spotted Three threes and Kensitas, there are also some very interesting jars and bottles in the window

Bob

Re: Slade Confectionery. I think it says D & R? Hewitt below the name Slade Confectionery. Could it be located at 124 Lichfield Road? The 1939 Register shows this was the home of a Reginald J Hewitt and Emily D (Doris) Hewitt. He was a retail shopkeeper - bread, cakes and flour. She was a shop assistant and did unpaid domestic duties. They were still there on the electoral register of 1955.

Lyn, had second thoughts, it would have been father to the right and just off picture. I think the big shop with the light in the window was the co-op. It was over 60 years ago and I don't possess the best of memories. Eric

Re: Slade Confectionery. I think it says D & R? Hewitt below the name Slade Confectionery. Could it be located at 124 Lichfield Road? The 1939 Register shows this was the home of a Reginald J Hewitt and Emily D (Doris) Hewitt. He was a retail shopkeeper - bread, cakes and flour. She was a shop assistant and did unpaid domestic duties. They were still there on the electoral register of 1955.

Good work Brasscaster, looks like you've nailed it, 124 Lichfield Road puts the shop on the northern-side of the road about opposite Sandy lane (Just east of Waterworks Boulevard).

Ok folks, biggest view of the shop I can manage herewith, you'll have to print off or stand your device on end to view comfortably.

Regards,
Peg.

Shop Lichfield Road Aston L.jpg

Rowntrees and Polo seem to be in that window but the picture is not easy to see - I gave up hanging upside down from the ceiling quite a few years ago. :D Although not in the pic I remember there being 555 cigarettes as well as the 333 ones. It is truly amazing the advertising that was done in past times to promote cigarette and tobacco sales, especially compared to today when those products are kept in closed cupboards. Not being a smoker I do wonder if the clandestine efforts to hide tobacco products are counter productive. after all it makes it seem like you are buying something illicit i.e. under the counter or in a plain wrapper. :eek:
I must ask my local corner shop guy and a superstore sales person about how sales are these days. The price per packet should be enough to deter sales I would have thought.

Back