• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston classed as Birmingham?

Ewan

master brummie
Calling on expert Brummies here.

I have my great granddad on 2 censuses and on them it is stated that his birthplace was Birmingham. It has or still is a long arduous task to find the correct baptism for him, and find him on earlier censuses. I have come across a baptism now that took place in Aston, now I know that is not far from Birmingham, as one Brummie told me years ago 'it is only a spit from Birmingham', but do you think that someone would have said Birmingham as their birthplace, could well have meant Aston? Would Birmingham and Aston been classed as the same place!

Then, there is the fact that he may have been actually born in Birmingham but just baptised at Aston, for whatever reason.

The family that I think he may have come from are living at Bordesley on the 1841 and 1851 censuses.

A complicated one, as we don't know really sometimes where are ancestors were born.
Ewan

Hi Ewan,

Bordesley did come under Aston. The Aston today bears no relationship to the old Aston. The very heart of Birmingham was Aston. Bordesley and Deritend were Aston.

Ann

Hi Ewan,

Bordesley did come under Aston. The Aston today bears no relationship to the old Aston. The very heart of Birmingham was Aston. Bordesley and Deritend were Aston.

Ann

Hello Ann, thanks again for your valid help.

So, my elusive great granddad may well have come from Aston, but he or whoever submitted the information to the enumerator in 1881 and 1891 (could of been his wife, she came from a totally different part of the country, Sussex,) put down Birmingham.

This has definitely given me something to think about now, with the possibility that he came from Aston.

I wonder if anyone has come across 'Aston' as the stated birthplace on census forms, I suppose if they still llived in 'Aston' that place would of been put down, but perhaps if they moved out of the county as did my great granddad they may have just put down Birmingham.
Ewan

Sorry Ewan,

I should have added that Bordesley and Deritend were in Aston, Birmingham. As my ancestors, that were born in Deritend and Bordesley, have put on the census, birth place Birmingham and sometimes they have put Aston.
I put on Ancestry, for the ones born Bordesley, born Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire.
So Aston is Birmingham.

Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Ewan,

I should have added that Bordesley and Deritend were in Aston, Birmingham. As my ancestors, that were born in Deritend and Bordesley, have put on the census, birth place Birmingham and sometimes they have put Aston.
I put on Ancestry, for the ones born Bordesley, born Aston, Birmingham, Warwickshire.
So Aston is Birmingham.

Ann

Hello Ann, that's okay, it is also comforting in a way to hear that your ancestors have sometimes put their birth place as Birmingham and sometimes Aston when in fact they were born in Deritend and Bordesley.

Does anyone else have any experiences of this regarding Aston/Birmingham as their ancestors birth place?

Ewan

Too right Beamish!

And Ewan, just to add, someone born in Bordesley, Aston, Birmingham, could have been christened at Aston Juxta.

Ann

Ewan,

Here is a copy of my great grandfather's birth. As you can see it is Registration District Aston. District of Deritend and Bordesley. And he put on the census forms 'born Birmingham'.

Ann

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Ann

Yes, I have also seen that name on the IGI, a very very kind person who has helped me by looking through records at the Birmingham Central Library is going to check out some baptism records for me from Aston. I am so glad of their help, and hope they know it.:)
Ewan

Ewan,

Glad you are geting some good help. When you start it is difficult enough, when you live in the area, trying to understand the changes with the districts.

All the best Ann

Thank you ever so much for showing me that copy, and you say he put Birmingham down as his birthplace on census forms, so I think that has given me a bit more confidence now to think my great granddad (the old rogue) could of come from Aston. This opens up a few more possibilities, not many, but more.

Thank you Ann for your help.
Ewan

Ewan,

And If you look closely at the certificate, under the mark of Ann Bradley, it says Dale End Birmingham (abbreviated).

Ann

Excuse me butting in on the thread, I've just had a look at the certificate you posted Ann B and noticed the Bradley name, on my grandfather's (Thomas William Gibson) marriage certificate 28/08/1889 one of the witnesses is Sarah Ann Bradley, Sarah Ann was Thomas's sister so obviously married a Bradley, any chance there's a link? E.

Aston people by the way. :)

Hi Eric,

I'll check that out, and see if perhaps she married one of my lot.
I'll get back to you.

Ann

Hi again Eric,

Sarah Ann Gibson (born about 1863 Birmingham) married Samuel Bradley in Aston Oct to Dec 1856. And Samuel is a wheelmaker in 1901 and a bicycle maker in 1891 in Asylum Rd. He's not one of my immediate Bradley's, but perhaps his father's father was related to my Bradleys.
In 1901 they have living with them a Thomas Gibson, born 1836 Birmingham, and a printer Compositor. It doesn't say though how he is related to Sarah Ann.

All the best
Ann

So there are two teams in Birmingham. Birmingham City and Birmingham City reserves.

Sorry to disagree Beamish, there are 3 teams in Birmingham.
Birmingham City
Birmingham City Reserves
Birmingham City Academy
:cool:

I think you'll find another wanabee lot over in Aston village, near Birmingham!
(Well done you lot for giving the so-called bigger teams a run for their money!:))

Hi again Eric,

Sarah Ann Gibson (born about 1863 Birmingham) married Samuel Bradley in Aston Oct to Dec 1856. And Samuel is a wheelmaker in 1901 and a bicycle maker in 1891 in Asylum Rd. He's not one of my immediate Bradley's, but perhaps his father's father was related to my Bradleys.
In 1901 they have living with them a Thomas Gibson, born 1836 Birmingham, and a printer Compositor. It doesn't say though how he is related to Sarah Ann.

All the best
Ann

Hello Ann, Thomas born 1836 is my great grandfather, Sarah's dad. E.

A-B Row is so named because it was the boundary between Birmingham and Aston. They were two different governed areas. In the Doomsday Book Aston was larger than Birmingham.

Junie.

Aston fought long and hard not to be incorporated into Birrmingham, it was always a seperate entity, we had our own mention in the Doomsday book , here is a newspaper cutting from Bristol 1891 explaining the annexing of Aston, and by the way all you BCFC fans we have had the F.A .Cup pinched more times than you have won it!

Aston was not incorporated into Birmingham until 1911. For centuries it was much larger than Birmingham. For family history purposes I always look in both Aston, Warwickshire, and Birmingham. I agree it is confusing.

Many of my family came from Gosta Green Aston and when i recently found them on the 1911 census nothing came up when i entered Birmingham but i had success when i entered Aston.

Aston as a parish long pre-dated Birmingham, as did Kings Norton its southern neighbour. Towards the end of the 19th Century however Aston parish was known as 'Aston juxta Birmingham' and included, amongst others, Duddeston & Nechells. As a long time amateur genealogist I rarely bother my head about Aston or Birmingham for 19th Century births and accept Aston, as I do Kings Norton without reference to Birmingham (except perhaps in my notes as not everyone is aware they will all eventually be swallowed up in Birmingham and allows me to avoid answering comments such as "I thought Granddad was born in Birmingham"?)

My father was born Duddeston & Nechells, Aston 1910 (soon to be Sparkbrook). By 1917 the family moved and his sister was born Kings Norton, Birmingham (really Selly Oak). After 1924 for BMD registrations, Aston became Birmingham North and Kings Norton Birmingham South and by 1932 even they were merged into one registration district of Birmingham. That lasted until 1974 when they all were swallowed up as merely part of the West Midlands Metropolitan county.

But Brum will be Brum no matter what...even as a Villa supporter.

iu

An old photo, but the existing sign on the buildings apex says it all.;)

Back