• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Assistance finding place of rest at Lodge Hill Cemetery

K6rina

Hi there,

I am trying to locate a place of rest at Lodge Hill Cemetery Quinton on behalf of my grandad. He had a sister who sadly died before she was 1 year old.

I’ve retrieved the grave location from birminghamburialrecords.co.uk and have located the area at Lodge Hill. Most of the graves are numbered in the area which is useful but sadly the grave I’m looking for does not appear to have a head stone.

I have found a grave plot which is numbered close to the one I am trying to find and the burial date is a month a part. There looks as though there is a plot in this location but no headstone.

The search record states ‘common’ as oppose to ‘purchased’ and there is also another name against the same grave number. Does this suggest it may be a shared grave?

Does anyone know if the graves are in date order?

I think I have found the location but just wondered if I could obtain further steer before I take my grandad.

Thanks for your time.

Karina

Welcome to the forum. Graves are in numerical order. (Might not be dates if people bought plots ahead of time - if you see what I mean). So if you locate a number or numbers (so you know which way the numbers are going along a row) then count gaps you should be able to work out where the number you want would be.
You can use other rows as a guide. However, I am not sure about "common" graves as I don't know if they were a different width. It might be worth asking the cemetery office or any workers tending the graves for further advice.
Sadly - "common" means the grave was shared (sometimes with quite a number of other people).
Good luck in your search.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Graves are in numerical order. (Might not be dates if people bought plots ahead of time - if you see what I mean). So if you locate a number or numbers (so you know which way the numbers are going along a row) then count gaps you should be able to work out where the number you want would be.
You can use other rows as a guide. However, I am not sure about "common" graves as I don't know if they were a different width. It might be worth asking the cemetery office or any workers tending the graves for further advice.
Sadly - "common" means the grave was shared (sometimes with quite a number of other people).
Good luck in your search.
Thank you so much for providing advice. It’s very much appreciated.

Back