• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Arthur & Janet Parsons

B

byersmom

I am researching Arthur Vorley Parsons and his wife Janet May Parsons.
Arthur Parsons was born in Swansea in 1896 and died in St. Austell, Cornwall in 1974. I have found that he lived in Birmingham at 153 Russell Road from approx. 1937 until 1956 . I found him and Janet May on a 1939 electrol roll, but none others.
I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to find out more about his time in Birmingham. On his death certificate it shows him as a retired manager of a paper and printing company. He went to school in Taunton, then went on to Oxford, also serving as a Captain in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers in WW1. He came to Canada around 1921-22, married here in 1924 and he and Janet May went back to the UK in 1926. They lived in Stokes Bishop in the early 1930's. He had a brother, Kenneth Owen Parsons who, it seems, also lived in Birmingham. I presume he was a doctor as he has F.R.C.P. after his name
I would like to find out what kind of work Arthur Parsons did in Birmingham, also if his wife was still with him. He was her third husband, my father was her second - she married him in 1918 - before that she had married in 1912.
Thank you for any help or advice you can give me.

Hello & Welcome Byersmom, :)

The address , Russel Road , what area of B,ham ?
They possibly lived near Paper/Print Company he was a Manager at !!!
There are many Paper/Printers/Pulpers/Lithgraphic/Newspaper etc Co,s in B,ham,
Narrowing down your search by area(s) would assist finding info,
His brother a Doctor, FRCP, maybe on B,ham Hospital listings or Kellys Directory,
Kellys books covering several years are available on this site so re-post his info on there as well,
Cheers & best regards JohnY :cool:

welcome to the forum
Not exactly what you were asking, but possibly additional information.
In Kellys Kenneth Owen Parsons FRCS, LRCP, was recorded as living at 149 Moor Green Lane from 1933 to 1956. He is not recorded in 1964. In 1932 Kenneth O. Parsons is living at 167 Portland Road. One wonders if he gained his qualification in 1932 and moved on to higher things. (I found no other Kenneth, or even K. Parsons , so it is likely to be the same person.)
If you hadn't realised it Russell Road and Moor Green Road are close, in fact Russell Road runs into Moor Green Road, so possibly they chose to both move to Birmingham either together or the younger following his elder brother
I had thought to look for Printers fairly near to Russell Rd, but there are a large number in either Pershore road or Balsall heath/Highgate, and a large number within easy reach of the city. Incidentally, there is a George Parsons (Paper) Ltd at 36 water St. this couldn't be a relative could it?. You did say he was manager of paper & printing co

Thank you Marie, Alf, Maggie, John and Mikejee for your warm welcome.
I don't know if Arthur Parsons was in the paper and printing business in Birmingham, then retired to St. Austell. He was 78 when he died so I assume he would have been retired for some time. Apparently when at Oxford he took courses in agriculture. I have a clipping from when he lived in Canada which states "A.V.Parsons, of Fostall, has just bought the Cripps ranch at Crescent Bay and has arrived to prepare for building on he land in rediness for next spring" dated Dec. 27, 1922.
Arthur just had the one sibling, Kenneth Owen born in 1898 - but I am hoping to check more when the 1911 census comes out.
As mentioned before Janet May (Thomson/Haslam/Morrison/Parsons) married three times (and maybe more, who knows) She has the distinction of being still married to Haslam when she married my dad in 1918. The divorce initiated by Haslam went through in 1919, my dad named as co-respondent and the reason given was adultery (seems more like bigamy to me)
Sorry to be so long winded. Thank you again for your greetings.

Back