• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Archaeological Site Library & Centenary Sq

Result folks....:):):)

hi folks just received a reply from sara rowell who has contacted the contractors for me.....they are most happpy for us to have some of the bricks and i have to email them to arrange time and date for collection...this is wicked...

Wendy...how many do you want for thomas walkers grave and can you confirm is it the blue bricks you need...

Lyn:):)

Congratulations Lyn
Its good to see quality stuff recycled. The blue bricks will last a lifetime, or two, or three......

Well done, Lyn for being so persistent.
A member of my family were involved in blue brick production in 1901 in West Bromwich, probably at Hambletts Brickworks. I shall be interested to read if you find markings on the bricks.

hi all...well weve got them:)not much left of the site now as most of it is filled in and will soon be all dug up and carted off..:( stilll we have saved a little bit of brum history and they have gone to 2 good causes...thomas walkers grave at key hill and we have raised £46 for the fourm funds so a big thank you to all of you who bought these very very old blue bricks....just a few photos here for you....this first one was interesting as its a very large piece of timber found 5 metres down in amongst machinery...me and david reckon it looks like a piece of canal lock...

last one now folks....i shall look forward to seeing what brian and colin do with thomas walkers grave and hopefully we will get some pics off him...and thanks for all the interest that you have shown on this thread..its been great fun....oh nearly forgot..a big thank you to david fowler who very kindly offered the transport to go and collect the bricks...

well thats it...mission accomplished.......until next time...;););)

lyn:)

Last edited:
Before we leave the subject of Bricks,,,,,I wonder if Lyn can get any of the Rubber Bricks that used to be on the floor of the Minories below Lewis's,,,:p:p:D:D

Ok Before you do :armycigar:

Lyn
They were used, particularly beyween the wars, but also after, to muffle traffic noise where it might. disturb people. I only know of two definite places that had them, Lewis's, as max said, and the exit at leeds station (which i think still has them), which is underneath part of the station hotel and carries all the taxis.
Mike

Progression of maps showing development of Broad St in 1834, 1851 & 1866,
"courtesy of mapseeker.co.uk". Brick kilns close by, too!
(Replacements)

Attachments

• map c 1834 showing Broad  st.jpg
    map c 1834 showing Broad st.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 3
  • map c 1851. area around hall of memory.jpg
    map c 1851. area around hall of memory.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 3
  • map c 1866 showing area around hall of memory.jpg
    map c 1866 showing area around hall of memory.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3
At Old Wharf there were a plethora of coal merchants
Pigots Dir Birm 1841
1841 Broad St brass founders: Lant & Best
Birm 1849 Dir
1849 Broad St iron founders:
James c (mill) Bridge St Foundry Broad St
Chas Clapter
Smith & Hawkes

Was anything more said about Winfield's Brassworks? A member of my family was a brassfounder in 1851 when he lived at Reservoir Cottage, Reservoir Rd by Rotten Park Reservoir. He had lived at paradise St in 1841 as a boy. The distance from Reservoir Cottage to Broad St would have been under 2 miles so I have an extra interest in Winfields Brassworks & look forward to hearing more about this business.
Shirley

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry shirl i forgot to email you...google winfields brass works birmingham...there are a lot of links and i think pics are available too...

ps..just hope the arkies dont all leg it when i turn up again..:D

What i remember on ( or around where they are digging ) was a long archway , it was more or less opposite the Registery office , it had seats and benches along the length , and many people used to have there wedding photographs taken there , i passed it everyday in the middle 60s on my way to work at King Edwards Place , I have a feeling ,but no more than that it was something to do with the Hall of Memory , as the benches looked out on to it in the distance , This may be something to do with the Large stones being removed perhaps .

Max: My wedding photos were taken in that Colonnade, in 1963. The colonnade had since been moved to the Peace Gardens I believe.

From 30th September

Attachments

• 30th September 2009 Wednesday 1 230.jpg
    30th September 2009 Wednesday 1 230.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 30th September 2009 Wednesday 1 231.jpg
    30th September 2009 Wednesday 1 231.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Back