• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Anyone Tidy up a 1930s photo

Bernard67Arnold

master brummie
Recently found this picture of of Enids Mom and Dad and brother Horace, he was born in Dec;1929 and
died of cancer in Heartlands 2003, must be eighty years old, Bernard(the pic I mean)

Hi Bernard - the chap certainly has a modern haircut. I don't know how to repair folds & tears but done me best

:D Thanks Humph - if you can get those sort of results it is tempting to invest the money and time to get it - do you take apprentices?

Hi Aidan,
It is very expensive and unless you are using it on a daily basis, not worth the outlay. There are however leaner versions called Photoshop Elements. I am not sure how much manipulation you can do with that software. I remember receiving it free with a Canon Camera I bought once upon a time. I will look into it for you see if there is any freebees out there. There a a lot of free tutorials on the net now. Many of them brilliant. Search Utube, or just type in Photshop Tutorials and you will be amazed how many there are. I have had the program for about six years and know about a fiftieth of it, far too much to take in.....but it does some magic stuff, wouldn't be without it....Humph....

Hi Aidan,
It is very expensive and unless you are using it on a daily basis, not worth the outlay. There are however leaner versions called Photoshop Elements. I am not sure how much manipulation you can do with that software. I remember receiving it free with a Canon Camera I bought once upon a time. I will look into it for you see if there is any freebees out there. There a a lot of free tutorials on the net now. Many of them brilliant. Search Utube, or just type in Photshop Tutorials and you will be amazed how many there are. I have had the program for about six years and know about a fiftieth of it, far too much to take in.....but it does some magic stuff, wouldn't be without it....Humph....
Hi there, that is absolute magic,
many thanks, the original has the studio address on the back,Maurice Howard, 139 Digbeth Birmingham, my thanks once again , I am stunned just cant believe it, Bernard

.....leaner versions called Photoshop Elements. I am not sure how much manipulation you can do with that software ....

A heck of a lot, IMHO ! How far short it falls from the full Photoshop I don't know but it must meet most of the needs of the non-professional user.

Chris

I find it amazing, when looking at old pictures, that some of the adults (in the epic) could walk down the street today and not get a second look. They do say that fashions come round every 30 years.
Recently found this picture of of Enids Mom and Dad and brother Horace, he was born in Dec;1929 and
died of cancer in Heartlands 2003, must be eighty years old, Bernard(the pic I mean)

Hi there, that is absolute magic,
many thanks, the original has the studio address on the back,Maurice Howard, 139 Digbeth Birmingham, my thanks once again , I am stunned just cant believe it, Bernard
Thanks again Humph, can I pick your brains just one more time, I enlarged the thumbnail and printed
the picture but I only got Enids brother and his Dad! is something to do with the size? Is it called sepia or
something. There really are some knowledgeable and clever folk on this forum,thankfully most of them, like your good self are willing to help us lesser mortals Bernard
ps. how could I get it onto Picasa 3

Last edited:
Hi Bernard,

Yes you may pick my limited brain and first the colouring of the photograph was called sepia toning and helped preserve the image in days gone by.

By thumbnail, you mean the picture I posted back to you which you have now saved to your computer. You have enlarged it. Ddo you know what size you enlarged it to. Is it A4 or smaller? Did you print it as a portrait or landscape image? Let me know. You may have made the enlargement larger than your paper, or you may have printed it as a portrait image, (taller than it is wide) rather than a landscape(wider than it is tall)

You should be able to put it on Picassa as it is a Jpg image, so you should have no trouble with that.

If at all, you did not understand any of the above, get back to me.

Back