• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ansells Brewery

Thanks so much for putting these photos on Ken, the photo with the group of 5 ladies where the lady on the left is drinking tea, well the lady on the far right Renee Cooper is my nan, never seen that photo before i love it. My grandad Cyril Cooper worked at Ansells too as did their son, my uncle Don.

Laraine Pete knew you uncle Don and worked with him at Aldridge and Gravelly park. Pete asked after him. Jean.

Jean, my Uncle Don sadly passed away a few years ago but thank Pete for asking about him, its nice that he's remembered.
Laraine

Thanks Laraine. We bumped into Don a few years ago and he told us he had to have a mouth operation . So sorry to hear he passed away.

HI
Another try with this photo. Ansells brewery staff 1924. The young lad at front in white is my late father in law Albert Palmer as a 14 year old.albert6.jpg

Thank you.We did have a load more of photos of old Ansells workers,but i am strugling to find them.They may have got lost when we moved
to Burnham from Great Barr 6 years ago.

Pete said it doesn't ring any bells Ken. Pete was on the brewing at Aston Cross then Aldridge on the drays then charge hand with Vic Perrin's at Gravelly Park.

7329_139918393610_7825840_n.jpg
A photo of the fishing team. Do you recognize anyone Ken?.

HI
You must realise that it was my father in law Albert Palmer who worked at the brewery not me. Our lines must have got crossed some how.

HI ALL
This is a photo of Albert Palmer at a pensioners function,can any one tell me who the lady is. All we know her name was Alice.alice who.jpg

Handing over Walkathon check , names are,Dereck Sewell, Kurt Kelly,Arthur Brown,Roy Tierney,Tom Thornton, Martin Mccory Paul Hopkins Pat Parnell and
Alan Fenton Year 1989.walkathon 1989.jpg

Post #285. Pete said Don Cooper Vic Perrins and Jo Leavesly are on the photo and remembers that day well. Jean. Thanks for the link Brumgum. Jean.

Yes jean;
i recall the strike it was the second strike in years at ansells my uncle frank worked on the dray he was frank marsdon from park rd
ten doors from the vine pub ; and the lat big strike they hadthat finished the brewery
and some of the workers formed a coopitive and set up aston mannor brewery in sandy lane aston with doug elliss son inlaw as the chairman;
we lived right next to the brewery and i recall all those little courts and houses the demolished to make the front endof the office building as we all knew with the clock on the top front of the building along with the little houses and shops that was along the lichfield rd that paved the way for there front delivery entrance which went up a slop for he drays on there horse and carts and on entrane to the brewery they had to obey the traffic signals
which was red green orange inside the gates at the top of the steep entrance they built and they could not enter until then ;
one saturday afternoon when one drayman came back the the driver had a heart attack on his way back to the brewery but the big grey shire horse with hid medals on knew the round and back to the brewery the horse brought him back and the horse did stop on red and came in on green
and thats where and how they found the employee [ the driver ] best wishes Astonian;]

I may have mentioned this before but when the German bomb came into our Anderson shelter mom dragged us out and we went over to the shelter under the brewery which was in the next street. The trip was quite lively even though a little short. People were singing and there was a man on the piano, I remember, but the question I would like to ask is does anyone else remember using the same shelter because it was pretty crowded. Regards, David.

Good Morning david
first of all which street was you living in when you said the next street to the ansells brewery and going down under ground to the ansells air raid shelter where every body went in the area my parents and grand parents all went thereso did the whole of cromwell terrace and the most of the surrounding streets as we virtualynext door to it as you probaly know i am very intrigued to know ;
secondly david ; the last time i drove the lichfield rd at the aston cros which is some time now ; there was a big car dealership there and i was thinking then ,as i am now about the under ground air raid shelter that was once there which we know it was a huge massive under ground and its where the coopers men making the barrells was ; when we walked up the steep hill of upper portland street in the days of the old blue brick road and its pavement when we would walk up in our hobb nails boots going to school wich was upper thomas street we would cross over to the ansells side and get down on our knees and look through the grating
and it was below the street level ; it must have been at least three hundred feet below it was way ;way down you would here them backing in echos
and the men looked like little match stick men we would put our hands to our mouths and shout lod as we could to these men but thet=y heard us it was so far down and you could fel a wind and draught coming up and it made our little faces very cold so it would have been the safest place during the air raids for people whom could make it there during the war years ; but any way i was thinking when i seen this big car dealer ship in its place and that when they built that complex
just how far down in concrete did they put to build that complex did they go down to the below ground zero or not or i wondered did they keep that under ground free to day for any oher purpose such as storage of cars like the longbridge one did or have they just left it alone and its still there ; i asked myself ;
would any one know i wonder i can recall all the workers wearing the dark brown overalls and most of all the wooden cloggs they all had to where and when there bull went off at lunch breaks you would see them all charging down the rd along the lichfield rd to do there bit of shopping at thompsons and most of themdashing into astons the cake shop which was at the bottom of our terrace [ cromwell ] it sounded like an army on the march when they was coming
there was thre bulls going off at the factories around us butons in portland rd across the rd in lower portlad street and ansells and of course HP sauce
and of course we all knew the smells from them two companies mixed together; best wishes david ; Alan ; Astonian;;;;;

Hi Paul nice picture.I have emailed you a couple of times and had no reply.I hope you are keeping well.Moss

Back