• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ansell

Taila

Brummie babby
Hi, I'm a newbie on here. My maiden name was Ansell, my father was Gilbert Ansell born in 1916 and he was born at The Old Crown Hotel ,50 Snow hill, birmingham which was run by his father George William Ansell. I've always been led to believe that I was distantly related to the Ansell family. My early childhood was spent in Hick Street, Balsall Heath, then Osler Street, Ladywood and finally until my marriage I lived in Poplar Road, Sparkhill. If anyone knows of the Ansell family it would be nice to hear from you. Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Taila,
My son is an Ansell, and he is descended from the brother of Joseph Ansell, who started Ansells Brewery. Looking quickly at your ancestors, I don't think you are related to the brewery Ansells. Unless it was a long way back. The brewery Ansells originated from Rocester in Staffs, in the early 1700's and 1600's. It looks as if you are descended from John Ansell, born about 1775 in Little Haywood in Staffs. Little Haywood is not that far from Rocester, so you may be connected, if you go back far enough.

Hi again Taila,
I should have added this information. Although I need to check it, when I have more time. George William Ansell was born in Birmingham in 1872, son of John Ansell and Thirza. John Ansell was born in Birmingham in 1850, son of Richard Ansell and Sarah. Richard Ansell was born in 1820 in Haywood Staffs, son of Jane Ansell. Jane Ansell was born in Little Haywood Staffs in 1800, daughter of John Ansell, who was born about 1775 in Little Haywood Staffs.
Ann

I too believe my family on my mothers side were related to the Ansell family. My grandfather was Sidney James Ansell known as Jim. They lived in Duddeston . He also had a brother Clarence. The later Ansell family lived in Wylde Green Sutton Coldfield, then at the turn of the 20 th Century Moor Hall not sure whether there were two members of the Ansell brewing family that lived in Sutton.

I too believe my family on my mothers side were related to the Ansell family. My grandfather was Sidney James Ansell known as Jim. They lived in Duddeston . He also had a brother Clarence. The later Ansell family lived in Wylde Green Sutton Coldfield, then at the turn of the 20 th Century Moor Hall not sure whether there were two members of the Ansell brewing family that lived in Sutton.
Hello, all I can say is that my grandparents names William James Ansell and Elizabeth Beatrice Ansell (nee McCulla) who lived in Hick Street, Balsall Heath. Elizabeth was his second wife, his first wife was Annie Louisa McPherson. What was your mother's name?

Hello. My mothers name was Doris her father was Sidney James Ansell Her mother was Gertrude Stanley. I have come full circle because I live in Sutton.

Hi, it was Edward Ansell who re-built Moor Hall. He had previously lived in Moseley Road, Birmingham then Sutton Road Erdington. His brother lived in Birmingham but moved to the south coast where he died.
There's a thread on this forum entitled 'Ansells Brewery' (sorry I haven't worked out how to do links yet) which it's worth looking at. The Midlands Pubs site has photos of the Ansells brothers - you might spot a likeness.

Hi, I'm a newbie on here. My maiden name was Ansell, my father was Gilbert Ansell born in 1916 and he was born at The Old Crown Hotel ,50 Snow hill, birmingham which was run by his father George William Ansell. I've always been led to believe that I was distantly related to the Ansell family. My early childhood was spent in Hick Street, Balsall Heath, then Osler Street, Ladywood and finally until my marriage I lived in Poplar Road, Sparkhill. If anyone knows of the Ansell family it would be nice to hear from you. Many thanks.
Hi Taila in lived in Hick St and I knew a Barry Ansel don't know if you are related did know any other family members I do know he worked at a printers in tindal st hope this is of any value to

I'm looking at my family tree and see I'm related to the Ansell family via my grandad. I think my connection is via Joseph Ansell, son of Joseph Ansell the brewer. I think They may have lived at Wylde Green.Joseph was a solicitor, trying to find out how many children he had and their names.

Hello. I was adopted and raised in Romford. My Biological Father was called Hugo John Clements/Ansel. And his Father was Harry Clements Ansel. And he fathered Hugo and 2 sisters whose names I don't know, but I do know he used to play music with them and were said to be exceptional. What I want to know is if my natural Aunts had children who would be my Cousins. It would be really nice to meet any surving members of Ansel Clements. Thank You

Not sure if I've got the wrong person.

Found a Hugo John Clements b1898 Sutton Coldfield, son of Harry James Clements & Dorothy Sarah Thomson. He had 2 sisters Dorothy Louisa & Enid Mary.

Interesting if it is - Enid appears to marry Joe Henry Claude Willoughby, a grandson of the 8th Baron Middleton.

Not sure if I've got the wrong person.

Found a Hugo John Clements b1898 Sutton Coldfield, son of Harry James Clements & Dorothy Sarah Thomson. He had 2 sisters Dorothy Louisa & Enid Mary.
Thank you. I will be talking to my Birth ma later today and confirm it with her. All the best many many ta's

Thank you. I will be talking to my Birth ma later today and confirm it with her. All the best many many ta's
I was told though that Hugo was born in 1904 and when he was 14 he was drafted into action in France. And spent the last 6 months of the war there.

There doesn't appear to be any births for a Hugo Clements around 1904 n England or Wales and it's a fairly distinctive name.

14 seems a little young to be drafted though it was not unknown for men to lie about their age so they could volunteer. There is a WWI medal card for a Hugo John Clements which is likely to be his but it doesn't list an age - he was in the Sherwood Foresters - and no other military records seem to have survived for him.

There is a record for him travelling to Queensland in 1925. Can't see one for him coming back but he must have because it appears he married a Mary Cadwallader in 1933.

There is a record for an attestation for H C Ansell drafted,, no other information ,no birthdate. 17/7/1917. at Suffolk Street The Ansell family in Moor Hall were Edward Ansell and Mary nee Clements, they married in 1879, they had a son Harry Clements Ansell in 1880 he is commerarated on the Commonwealth War graves site although he appears to have died in Tamworth on 9/05/1920(perhaps of his wounds), he was a second lieutentant, son of Edward and Mary of moor Hall and wife of Winifred Mary nee Brown, they married in 1909.
Just to update this post , The H C Ansell mentioned above drafted 1917was obviously Harry,I have found a copy of a letter.dated 1915
from a solicitor representing Ansells Brewery that his call up be defered until result of a tribunal which must have been unsuccessful

Last edited:
Thank you very much for this information. I now know a little bit more about my natural father's side of the family. Which will help me a little more to try and meet my cousins from Hugo's family. This is very much appreciated.

Back