• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Annie Williams.

robert

master brummie
Trying to find information on this lady. born birmingham 1895 parents names John williams Amelia Veness, Any info between 1901 untill 1929 would be of help
Thanks Robert.

found this on the 1911 rob...inmate in erdington..could this be her..will check the 1901

All Results
PRINT
Annie Williams

in the 1911 England Census

VIEW
Name: Annie Williams
Age in 1911: 16
Estimated birth year: abt 1895
Relation to Head: Inmate
Birth Place: Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
Civil Parish: Erdington
Search Photos: Search for 'Erdington' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
County/Island: Warwickshire
Marital Status: Single
Registration district: Aston
Registration District Number: 385
Sub-registration district: Erdinton
ED, institution, or vessel: 51-52, 55
Piece: 18370

Thanks Lynn, I know where she is on the 1901 census, she is living with her mother and step father using the surname Rowles. After that date i cant find any trace of her Williams or Rowles untill she marries John Nolan in 1929 using her maiden name as Williams. Her mother Amelia williams mn Veness Split from her husband John Williams prior to 1900 and had a relationship with James Rowles resulting in a son James jnr b1900, but in 1902 Amelia has a son Edgar to her husband John Williams so they must have got back together for a short time because on the 1911 census she is back with James Rowles with 3 more children, but no sign of Annie being with them. Hope that makes sense Lynn. Getting back to what you have found, Annies real father John Williams at the age of 50 is in a workhouse in Birmingham this is around 1911,but its not in Erdington it All Saints. Forgot to say Thankyou.

right rob that makes everything crystal clear then lol....:D....only joking....maybe now we have that extra info from you we maybe able to help..well our more expert members might

lyn

HI ,MWS On The 1901 census she is age 6. I will check the bmd records ( unless lyn beats me to it)
i know she died Ann Nolan mid 1980s
Thanks.

Phew! Just found the 1901 info by tracing her sister and thought I'd gone wrong.

So the one Lyn found is to young , shame as that would have fitted in nice with the work house. This really is a strange family

well you said it rob lol...so really we need to find her on the 1911 then ??

lyn

just to add that the annie williams i found as inmate in 1911...she was at the josiah mason orphanage in erdington..

Dob given as 29 Jul 1893 on death registration for Ann Nolan, same date as on baptism for Ann Williams above.

just to add that the annie williams i found as inmate in 1911...she was at the josiah mason orphanage in erdington..

Unfortunately with such a common name and birthplace, unless you find her with a relative you can't be sure that any Ann/Annie Williams you find is the right one.

And until the 1921 census is released there's not much else you can find out about her.

(voice of pessimism)

she is very illusive Lyn, Her mother,Step father and step brothers james jnr and William and step sister Amelia moved to Cotheridge 3 miles from Worcester Where her mother gave birth to another son Bertie in 1915. Unfortunately William died there in 1923. I have no idea if Annie was with them, I know they were all back in birmingham by 1928.

Unfortunately with such a common name and birthplace, unless you find her with a relative you can't be sure that any Ann/Annie Williams you find is the right one.

And until the 1921 census is released there's not much else you can find out about her.

(voice of pessimism)

agree with you MWS but i always say never say never...cant wait for the 1921 census:)

Im wondering if she is not with them on the 1911 census, because by this time she is 18 she could well be living with some one and taken on thier name as her mother had done with James Rowles, who incidently his parents never married either.

Im wondering if she is not with them on the 1911 census, because by this time she is 18 she could well be living with some one and taken on thier name as her mother had done with James Rowles, who incidently his parents never married either.

it is at this point i think i will have a nervous breakdown rob lol....after tea i will do a bit more digging for you..never know what may turn up

lyn

HI ,MWS On The 1901 census she is age 6. I will check the bmd records ( unless lyn beats me to it)
i know she died Ann Nolan mid 1980s
Thanks.

rob where is ann living and with who on the 1901 ?

post 3 shows her father john ..bro and sister on the 1901 but no ann and no mother amelia....this is all very strange

lyn

sorry rob just read your post 5...re the 1901 is amelia using the name rowles as well as ann

me again rob so just to recap on one 1901 census we have john williams with daughter and son down as lodgers and on another 1901 census we have johns wife amelia with their daughter ann williams living with james rowles and taking his name....so amelia leaves 2 of her children with john williams and takes daughter ann with her to live with james rowles..how am i doing so far

lyn

Lyn, they're in Walsall as Rowles.

Sorry, didn't notice further posts (2nd page).

no lyn. but i have just had a brain wave. Some years ago when i first tried to find her, i got some one to find her marrage to John Nolan.
when they found the page it had John j Nolan Preedee Drinkwater Then underneath it had John j Nolan Ann WIlliams. They assumed the there had been a mistake in the transcript. Earlier when i said i would check the bmd to find out death date, but failed it doesnt go past 1983. I went back and searched for a marrage for ann williams between 1911 and 1928, and i have found a marrage for ann to a James P Drinkwater 1915 worcester. No this is to much of a coincidence dont you think. the exciting part is 1915 is the year that Amelia gave birth to bertie in worcester.

I thought she had only married once untill i just found record for 1915. not 100% it is her but certain about the 1929 marrage to John Nolan.

That sounds right. Sometimes if a woman marries for a second time they list her maiden name and her present name.

If you see the second certificate it should tell you if she was widowed or divorced.

agree MWS...rob it maybe worth getting the 1915 marriage cert..if as you suspect she married drinkwater in 1915 do you think shes maybe on the 1911 under the name of drinkwater...?? the plot thickens

lyn

Back