• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Andrews Family - Nechells/Saltley

J

jane davies

Hi All - I've just joined this forum (a new area for me, please let me know if I make any lapses in forum etiquette :wink: ) and am researching my grandmother and greatgrandparents who lived at 37 Highfield Road, Saltley from about 1895 to 1904. My great grandfather Robert William Andrews was a master ironmonger (and was reputedly a member of the masonic order) and had a shop at 2/3 High Park Corner in Nechells according to Kelly's directories from 1886 to abt. 1892. He is also listed at 20 and 34 High Street, Saltley. and used to advertise in the Aston & East Birmingham News under "The Big Padlock". I'd love to be able to find pictures of his shops and am hoping someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.
My great grandmother (his 2nd wife) was Emma Elizabeth Andrews (nee Hewitt) and my grandmother was Evyline Annie Andrews (born 1895) My great grandfather left the wife and kiddies about 1905 and emigrated to Winnipeg, Manitoba (where I am also trying to trace him) with his son Robert Frederick Fairley Andrews (born 1891 to first wife Annie (nee Harriss)). My grandmother and her mum moved to St. Saviours Road, Saltley and lived there for many years. If anyone knows anything of this family I would love to hear from them - or if you have any tips on research areas that would also be great. :)

Jane i am wondering if Postie has any piccies of the areas you are researching :-\

Hi & Welcome Jane  :) your Etiquette is spot on  :)
Actually too good for some of these BARmen heathens on here,, Present company S,cusem mois  :coolsmiley:

Just out of interest maybe to you,, 34 High Street,( Saltley Bridge to Alum Rock Rd/ washwood Heath Rd)
was still an Ironmongers in 1908 with a William George King listed,, Ok & cheers John Y  O0

Postie - Thanks so much for the great photos - I was amazed to log on this morning and find a response to my old post!!!!   :)  These are still the first photos I have seen of the exact area - thanks again!!!

Jane

Hi John - thanks for the info, I imagine Robert must have sold the business prior to upping and running off to Canada!! ::)

Cromwell - I'm sorry I can' help you with Dave Andrews info as I believe my great grandfather and his son were the last of my male direct Andrews line.

Jane welcome, John Young is just an old smoothie BAR men are great :2funny:

Jane,Postie always comes up trumps O0 O0 bless him :smitten:

I thank you. I do my best. I have actually seen a picture of the store with the big padlock, but I can't remember where but I'll keep looking. O0

I know Rowan,the mans a star :cheers: oh by the way Postie do you have any piccies of the baths Woodcock St???? i bet you have!

Oh my life Postie,i just knew you could do it O0 just as i remember the baths,i spent many an hour swimming there. :smitten:

I too have to thank Postie. Those photos certainly bring back memories. I spent many an hour there too. Where you get all these photos from just amazes me, but I,m sure glad you take the time and effort to put them up for us. Many.many thanks again Postie. BazzM.

OK wheres the small pool awaiting your reply joking apart it certainly brought back a few memories my first dive into the deep end and thinking I was never coming up I had been used to Victoria road were it was only six feet deep were as Woodcock street was about twevle feet I think due to competion high board diving also the did a very nice hot Horlicks drink afterwards ahhh memories

John,great memories hey O0 and what a small world it is,all of us being there at some time or the other :)

P.s always had a bovril after :chef:

Back