• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ancestry or findmypast

rowan

Born a Brummie
Please can someone tell which is best Ancestry or Findmypast for research?
Thank you

in my opinion, findmypast is getting much much better now but i still think ancestry is by far the best :encouragement:

If you are getting the full Ancestry package it is good, but frustrating if you have one of the cheaper versions as itlets you complete a search before telling you you need to upgrade to seeit.
Find my past was good but you have to pay a lump sum up front, means its expense in one go and if you decide not to continue, no refund (so my colleague at work tells me)
Sue

i agree with what you have said sue, i dont have worldwide membership for ancestry but do have premium membership so can access most things. i think there are much more parish records on ancestry, and more seem to be adding every month. searching for bmd`s is about the same on either site, and searching the censuses, but ancestry has not yet transcribed all the 1911 census so findmypast is best for that one at present. generally though, ancestry has more records to search and if you start a family tree on ancestry you get linked up with other people with the same tree and receive "hints" which are records that seem to match your ancestor, so that you can check them out.

I use Ancestry, I only have the basic UK membership which is good for the most part. Happily for me the local library (down under) has the full membership of both Ancestry and Find my Past so when I do a search that brings up records I'm not able to see I make a note and find it at the library!
Ancestry does seem to have new records every week, which is great! I must admit the Ancestry search engine drives me nuts at times but I can live with that! I've found a lot of rellies in the Warwickshire parish records. A lot I'd found on Microfiche or film and it's great to have a copy that is so much more readable! Can't wait for the Brum records to be added!

I currently use both but will be letting my FMP subscription run out this year. I find that FMP is much better at finding stuff and have a more 'logical' search engine. I can usually find things on FMP must easier than on Ancestry. The problem is that FMP only 'really' covers UK and I have a lot of research to do in US and Aus (although their records are not as complete as ours). I have also just migrated from Legacy to FTM 2012 and absolutely love the syncronisation feature between FTM and ancestry.com.
I think from now on if I can't find a record in ancestry I'll do a search in FMP (without subs) and use that a reference to go back and search 'smarter'.

Hope that helps

I use Ancestry and found it to be really good. Whatever you do - dont use Genes Reunited as they send emails to you asking if a certain person could be your ancestor, then you have to pay to get these details even though you are a yearly paid up member.

Back