• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

An old rent book

terryb18

Gone but not forgotten R.I.P.
Heres my parents rent book when we lived in Hockley 1957/8

Attachments

• rent.jpg
    rent.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 27
  • rent2.jpg
    rent2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • rent3.jpg
    rent3.jpg
    970 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
In Park Rd, right opposite Whitmore St. We left there in 1958 and moved to Shard End. I was only 11 but I still have fond memories of Hockley.

Hanco

How lovely that Hanco and Alf have these old rent books. Isn't it marvelous what becomes important to us as we get older. Thanks for posting them.:)

Wendy Thanks I've got one for 1936 the year I was Born, also 1946 War end and one the year we moved from Aston 1947.

I'll post them as they come to hand:)

Blooming heck Alf, the rent went up 2/9d in 11 years. and they moan about inflation today, we've never had it so good.:D

Such a pity these photo's are gone the thread means little without the pictures.

I remember those yellow rent books, and the name JP Macey on the front, sometimes went to the Council House with Mom. Did you get a free week if you paid one year in full without missing a payment?Paul

Did you get a free week if you paid one year in full without missing a payment?Paul[/QUOTE said:
Dont know, I was only 8 or 9 years old then. Its was dad's rent book.

I recall there were two free weeks over the Christmas period in my moms rent book, but that was in the mid 60's

I recall there were two free weeks over the Christmas period in my moms rent book, but that was in the mid 60's

hi mort still get 2 free weeks at christmas and another 2 in march providing there are no arrears....my rent was £48 pw when i moved here in 1998 it has now over doubled...

lyn

Last edited:
Thanks for re posting Terry. I have been going through a lot of old threads which, sadly mean nothing without the original images :(

Terry - Your wish is my command. Well done by the way in getting the photos back where they belong as it is on occasions not possible.

Back