• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Amazing Book By William Haywood

guilbert53

master brummie
I am not sure if this has been posted before so apologies if it has.

While searching the internet I found this amazing book by William Haywood (architect) on his ideas for Birmingham called "The Development of Birmingham".

Published 1918.

Just click on the page to step through the book page by page.

You can also download the whole book as a pdf file.

https://archive.org/details/developmentofbir00hayw

Whoops, just noticed I missed the "a" out of "amazing" in the title, can somebody change it for me. Thanks

thanks guilbert i have not heard of this book...also i have moved this thread to the correct section of the forum

lyn

Came across the book that Guilbert mentions via the architect William Haywood, and as John says it is worth a read.

In 1914 the Housing Enquiry committee recommended that a new plan of the old city should be put in place. In 1918 William Haywood, produced a book which Neville Chamberlain described as full of startling suggestions. Among the proposals was one for a "Peoples Hall" including the "Rotunda.”

8A775CAA-F40E-43D6-9959-0A02BEC07978.jpeg

C441F7D7-36F5-4087-ADDE-76F3E84BBEB0.jpegED3C3A1C-02A0-413F-99AA-8955D5B46E93.jpeg

Back