• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alum Rock Road

chriswilshaw

proper brummie kid
Does anyone remember the old farmhouse that used to be right in the middle of the Barracks on Alum Rock Road. I think it was demolished many years ago but when I was a child I remember going into the house where a family was living who I think were connected with the barracks.

Does anyone have a photograph or any memories of it!

Christine:redface:

Hi Chris, I rememeber the army barracks on Alum Rock Road. Do you remeber the queen's coranation there . I lived in Jephcott Road, and i used to play with some children that lived in the house, but i can not rememeber their name's.

I used to go to school with Billy Hicks who lived in Jephcott Road, often used to pop in to his house on the way back to school after the class's weekly visit to Saltley Baths in George Arthur Street, which I see from Google Street View is no longer there

Hi Chris,

In the 1960's I used to go shooting at the single storey range building just inside the gate
up the ramp and to the right. The range was called the Fernbank range, and the road which is there
now is called Fernbank Road. I think the caretaker/rangekeeper lived at the house, and I remember
his name was Mr Flook. I dont know what his first name was as unsurprisingly everyone called him Flookie.

Kind regards

Dave

Some 30 years ago I acquired a photograph of a family group of 14 people spread over 3 generations seated outside a substantial family house. The title is given as Fern Bank Alum Rock Dec 26 1921. There is no family name and the men appear more like city businessmen than farmers. The youngest member is a girl aged about 4 years so is unlikely to be alive today, but her children, if any, could be. I acquired the photograph as part of a job lot at an auction and would be interested in contacting any member of the family if you have any knowledge of them.

Hi Chris,

In the 1960's I used to go shooting at the single storey range building just inside the gate
up the ramp and to the right. The range was called the Fernbank range, and the road which is there
now is called Fernbank Road. I think the caretaker/rangekeeper lived at the house, and I remember
his name was Mr Flook. I dont know what his first name was as unsurprisingly everyone called him Flookie.

Kind regards

Dave
Hi just spotted this post while looking for anything to do with the old barracks in Alum Rock, and saw the mention of 'flookie'.
His first name was Cyril, and he happened to be a very close friend of my family (best not dwell on that though) and we used to call him uncle flookie.
My only memory of the barracks is that they used to have a christmas party at the social club on the barracks site, and as flookie was serving behind the bar, I had an endless and free supply of vimto & penguin bars, but then I was only around 6 or 7 at the time.

Welcome Roy. Thanks for adding to this thread. Enjoy the forum, I'm sure you'll find other threads of interest. Viv.

There is a Moat House Road and the bend of the road seems to match.

On the 1905 map there's an Alumrock House listed. On 1917 map it's gone and there's a convent (which is still there) and houses.

Below is the c1889 map and also a much larger scale map c1834 which appears to show a faint circle to the north-west of the house which could be the markings of an old moat (or could be a circle of trees !)

map c1834 showing faint markings at back of alum rock house.jpgmap c1889 showing alum rock house.jpg

Back