• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alum Rock Rd - Ward End area

Chris my husband is devastated he's not on it, he would have been 8 years old.

Hi All some photos of the classes at Sladefield Sec' Mod' school

number 1 taken in 1956 was class 1/1 teacher was
Mr Liversidge
number 2 taken in 1957 was class 2/1 no teacher in photo but it was Mr Westacott
number 3 taken in 1958 was class 3/1 teacher was Mr Court

Hi
I was at Ward End Hall school,at the time Gary Porter was struck,think it was around the same time of the great air crashes,when we lost Buddy Holly & the football team.The teachers i remember,were- head Haynes,woodwork teacher Westwood,sports/p.e teachers Tompson & Miss Ligey.Arts teacher,Mr Stevens.
Kids i new were,Paddy Moony,Andrew Kelly,Douglas Lambie,Mick Meridith,Mick Newcombe,John Yelland,Ronnie Baker,Ronnie Russell,Alan Johnson,Robert Mcconnell.

Last edited:
Hi
I Lived just off the Washwood Heath road,as a child in the 50s,i remember the Chocolate Cabin sweet shop.
We used to play in the Bromford Lane clay pits,a deep hole in the ground,like a mini Grand Canyon.
Did anyone go to Thornton rd primary school from around 1954-1958 ? I remember a very strict old teacher there, called Miss Hamer.

Last edited:
Hi
I lived at 28 Alum Rock Road and my grandparents lived at 32 Alum Rock Road in the early 1950s (this was a block of shops opposite George Arthur Road). I attended St. Saviours School until 1958 when we moved to Castle Bromwich. Are there any pictures out there of this area

Hi Medion

Type Alum Rock / Saltley into the search bar, there are some old photos & postcards there.

Macca

heres a delightful pic of alum rock road..sorry no date but maybe early 1900s

astoness:)

Date about right Astoness, the tramcar has a destination board instead of top canopy number only box that came in after the First World War. Brilliant pic. I recently posted an Alum Rock one over on the 'Photos' thread in the Trams section you might not have seen.
Mike

hi mike...i do agree its a lovely pic...i must be getting good at this if you agree with my date on it.....sorry i didnt see the pic you posted.. i will go and sort it out....

:)

Doger asked :" Did anyone go to Thornton rd primary school from around 1954-1958 ? I remember a very strict old teacher there, called Miss Hamer. "

Yes, I went to the infants and primary schools from 1950-1956 and can just recall Miss Hamer's name. I cannot remember her face, but I do recall she had a reputation for being strict. Teachers' names I do remember are Mr Harwood, Mr Sheldon, Mr Goodman and the headmaster Mr. Hall.

There is another thread in this forum regarding his successor, Mr Petherick, where a relative was asking for any information - a search on the name should find it.

Hi dav1930
Thanks for info,you have sparked my memory,i do remember the head teacher a Mr Petherick.I fainted in the school hymns sessions once,and Mr Petherick was very good.
I remember the playground fights,almost every other day.
Kids i remember were
David Probert,a good looking kid,always in trouble.
John Price,was a good friend.
Colin West.
It was a very long time ago,amazing you still seem to retain the memory of it .
Cheerio
Doger

I lived in a 'back' house in Wright Rd near to Alum Rock Rd from 1945 - 1966. People sometimes have the wrong perception as to what a 'back' house was! They are often portrayed as grim looking houses crowded into a 'court' or 'yard'. Our house was one of four terraced houses set behind the houses of Wright Rd. We had our own 'entry' leading to a small fore garden plus a small garden at the rear. There was only one car in the whole street. This belonged to the local taxi driver.
Go to the address now and the Road is packed with cars/vans etc., It has become a totally run down area. I have a few photographs somewhere - I must dig them out sometime.

Hi all :)

im new to this site and ive signed up on behalf of my dad really, george wheeler was brought near summer lane, aston etc he tells us he's kids a million stories about he's memorys of being brought up from he's childhood. But just seeing this alum rock road- ward end post. Has anyone on here attended? highfield J&I School? highfield road? love to hear any storys or pictures? i am the caretaker at the school now and maybe if enough interest? might be able to arrange a walk round of the school one time to bring back memorys?

many thanks

:)Les,I wonder if you remember the milk place at the top of Bennetts rd, James Holt & Son.I left school at 14 and my first job was to assist the 2 roundsmen.Gorge&LEN,Iam talking now about 1942. we were having air raids and poor George was bombed out.he lived Aston Church Rd the empty house space is still there I believe,I would be interested in traceing the other milkman Len cant;think of his surname lived at Shirley, I got the sack co;s I couldnt; get up in the mornings.we kept in tough untill I went into the andrew.Cheers Alec.

,sPOM,Iexpect I;m abit late now,J viewed yr pic s, Great.That building by park lake used to house the row boats.First floor was the "Sons of Rest" a kind of club the elderly used, Alec Rose.

if you want a good barber and a good chin wagg today ;
go down the alum rock and visit phill Lynch on the pelham by the bordesley green rd
by Mcdonalds hes been there for years and i travel to him from worc every 2 months
and he.s good and i see afew old freinds and he gives me all the latest gossip going around there and i take in the sights and see how the rock as changed and still is changing i used to work the ward end club many years ago so i know how its changed
best wishes astonian ;;

Back