• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alma Street Junior & Infants

silhouette53

master brummie
Did anyone attend the above school at all ? I started there age 5 in 1958 and left in January 65- Hardly any photos seem to exist of the school and if anyone has any, or indeed any memories of the school and its teachers I'd be VERY happy to see/hear them !!
I remember the Headmaster - Mr Hinchliffe ( we kids all pronounced it as 'Inchcliff') LOL The first teacher I had in class 1 infants was Mrs Jones - I later had a teacher called Miss priest who married and became Mrs Swan and she emigrated to South Africa I recall Mr Edwards, Mr Wildman, Mr McGill.

Here's my school report for 1963 I was 9yrs 10 months then !

nice one colin....no good me posting mine...it usually said linda must not chatter so much...lol...i will sort out and post my alma st first reading pass card....

lyn

Hooray someone else went there.I started in 1953 and left in 1959.As soon as I saw Mr McGills name I went straight back to class 7 room, at the top of the iron fire escape staircase,with the smell of TCP,he was in charge of first aid.Sadly Mr Hinchcliffe has died.There is a good pic on freinds reunited and lots of names.I saw yourt post on William St,I lived there from 1952-61.The shops you metioned,the one on the corner of Gower St was run by Mrs Hall her son John was at Alma St at the same time as me.The business behind her shop was a cycle wheel maker who was a relative of my brother-in-law,had a few wheels respoked and trued there.On the opposite corner of Gower St was a blue painted shop type front but no glass,this was a small workshop that did brass turning and screw threading, one of my cousins worked here. I remember Sargents,used to have orange boxes and grape barrels from here as well as fruit and veg.A butcher used to be on the opposite corner of Gerrard and William St.We lived at the the other end, no 103 on the right as you walk towards Clifford St,our garden gave access to Furnace Lane.I have some pics of teams and class at Alma St but they will be before your time also have a pic of Coronation Day 1953.Have found pics of where I used to live in Guildford St thanks to Astoness.

hi bazaston...

silhouette(colin) will be pleased when he reads your post as not only did you both attend alma st school but you both lived in william st at the same time...hope you have lots to talk about....

lyn

Last edited:
hi bazaston..glad you liked them..i was born just off guildford in paddington st...still struggling to find pics of it......

lyn

Did anyone attend the above school at all ? I started there age 5 in 1958 and left in January 65- Hardly any photos seem to exist of the school and if anyone has any, or indeed any memories of the school and its teachers I'd be VERY happy to see/hear them !!
I remember the Headmaster - Mr Hinchliffe ( we kids all pronounced it as 'Inchcliff') LOL The first teacher I had in class 1 infants was Mrs Jones - I later had a teacher called Miss priest who married and became Mrs Swan and she emigrated to South Africa I recall Mr Edwards, Mr Wildman, Mr McGill.

hi silhouette i also went to alma st school and started the same year as yourself, i remember the head master mr hinchliffe and thats about it ,was there a miss sharp? as for other kids i can only remember 1 name ,michael hands.(any ideas) my name is mal sadler and i lived in alma st also.look forward to hear from you.

nice one colin....no good me posting mine...it usually said linda must not chatter so much...lol...i will sort out and post my alma st first reading pass card....

lyn
hi lyn ,i,m another who attended alma st school from 1958 till about 1961 then we UPGRADED!!!!!!!!!!! to small heath.i remember mr hinchliffe but thats about it,i dont recall it being a school for girls as well but i would,nt have been noticing girls then i suppose!!my name is mal sadler and i also lived in alma st.would love to hear from you .all the best malx

hi malc..yes i started alma round about 58 i would guess but was only there enough time to finish my first reading book then we move on to villa st and i went to farm st school...i was born in paddington st....if you type in alma st in the search box top right hand of page there should be one or two pics....any how here is my first reading book pass....

lyn

hi malc..yes i started alma round about 58 i would guess but was only there enough time to finish my first reading book then we move on to villa st and i went to farm st school...i was born in paddington st....if you type in alma st in the search box top right hand of page there should be one or two pics....any how here is my first reading book pass....

lyn
i dont think i read the first page of my reading book!! thats fascinating that you,ve still got yours,i,m struggling for memories about alma st to be honest ,i did drive over there about 10 years ago but i could,nt remember any of it.its really nice to be conversing with someone who attended there just wish i could remember more of it.x

i am afraid i can remember even less than you as i was there for less than a year...i do however recall the nit nurse paying the school a visit....lol...there are also pics of the school on the forum..dont know if you have seen them yet...

lyn

i am afraid i can remember even less than you as i was there for less than a year...i do however recall the nit nurse paying the school a visit....lol...there are also pics of the school on the forum..dont know if you have seen them yet...

lyn
hi again,tryed to find pics but not very adept on computer.malx

I went to Alma St. from 1954 until 1958 when we moved to Nechells. I remember Mr. Hinchcliffe very well, a huge man, bigger around the hips than the shoulders but, was he ever in charge. I contracted whooping cough for about 18 months from just after I had started school but, never missed a lesson. Mr. Hinchcliffe called in to see me every night on his way home, bringing me that days work. He used to stay to make sure I understood what needed doing and how to do it. My Gran was at home days, she worked evenings at the Orient, taking tickets upstairs. She used to teach me to read and do math etc. We lived at 1 back 42 Alma St next door to the of-sales. The pub a little further up the street was the Salutation Arms. The only other name I remember from Alma St. school is Peter Wrigley, probably because we met up at a concert our respective schools were performing at, a few years later, it took quite a while, as I remember it, for us to recognise each other. One undying memory I do have from Alma St itself is of the sweet shop, on the same side as the pub and off-sales, just a little further down hill. It was owned by a Mrs Foster, I can remember the smells of all of those sweets stored in those big glass jars mixing with the smell of the highly polished wood of the counter. I can just about recall standing under the coalmans horse while he delivered his sacks of coal. I seem to remember an older lad called Bobby Potter. My gran was known as Granny Gardner. Just remembered the way Mr Hinchcliffe taught everyone the times tables. What they call parrot fashion, to a beat like a poem. If I remember correctly my Dad told me that Alma St was affiliated to Gerrard St. secondary school.

Last edited:
Attended 1954-59 Some teachers names from class 1 Miss Jones,2,Mrs Robinson 3,Miss Hughes ?4,Mrs Coopland 5,?6?7,Mr McGill ,8 Mrs Osbaldiston 9,Mr Harvey later replaced by Mr Edwards when Mr Harvey left and went to Paget Rd.
Classes 1-4 were at the top of the playground the others were at the bottom ie nearest Alma St. The caretakers were Mr and Mrs Grubb.

Hi
I attended Alma Street School. I started April 1959 aged 5 and left July 1965. The only photo I have seen of the school is the front of the building. Mr Hinchliffe was the Headmaster. We went to him to pass our books. If we passed, he would offer us 3 Roses Chocolates from a big tin. Even though I wanted the chocolates I was too shy to accept them!

I recall the following teachers;
Infants
Mrs Jones class 1
Miss Parker class 2
Mrs Jones (again) class 3. The class was located in the smaller playground where the apparatus (climbing frame) was.
Juniors
Miss Kirby class 4
Miss James class 5 ( she married a policeman and became Mrs Swann)
Mrs Priest class 7 ( she emigrated to South Africa)
Mr McGill ( not sure of his class number but it was at the top of the fire escape)
Mr Edwards class 10 (we moved to the annex during this school year)
Mrs Morgan class 11
Mr Wildman class 12

I also recall;
Mrs Cooper (I think she was head of infants)
Mrs Christian
Mrs Thompson
Mr Hunter a student teacher. ( He taught the class about Stephensons Rocket. He and Mr Wildman organised a school trip to London. We went to the Science Museum to see the Rocket!)

Mrs Taylor (secretary)
Mrs Hands (biscuit lady)
Mr and Mrs Franklin (caretakers)

I have many happy memories of Alma Street School.
If you are interested, I can probably list most of the children that were in class 12 during 1964/1965..

Regards
Linda

Alma St School was also a nursery school...I know because I went there before going to Cowper St Infants School. I can remember going in with our mom through the back door in Furnace Lane. I also recall being outside in the playground in a cot for the morning/afternoon nap.
Dave A

Hi
I attended Alma Street School. I started April 1959 aged 5 and left July 1965. The only photo I have seen of the school is the front of the building. Mr Hinchliffe was the Headmaster. We went to him to pass our books. If we passed, he would offer us 3 Roses Chocolates from a big tin. Even though I wanted the chocolates I was too shy to accept them!

Infants
Mrs Jones class 1
Miss Parker class 2
Mrs Jones (again) class 3. The class was located in the smaller playground where the apparatus (climbing frame) was.
Juniors
Miss Kirby class 4
Mr McGill ( not sure of his class number but it was at the top of the fire escape)
Mrs Morgan class 11
Mr Wildman class 12

I also recall;
Mrs Christian
Mrs Thompson
Mr Hunter a student teacher. ( He taught the class about Stephensons Rocket. He and Mr Wildman organised a school trip to London. We went to the Science Museum to see the Rocket!)

Mrs Taylor (secretary)
Mrs Hands (biscuit lady)

I have many happy memories of Alma Street School.
If you are interested, I can probably list most of the children that were in class 12 during 1964/1965..

Regards
Linda
hi linda i am sure the list of names would be of interest as it may jog memories..

lyn
This is Miss Jones who was a teacher at the school in 1969. Viv.

Hooray someone else went there.I started in 1953 and left in 1959.As soon as I saw Mr McGills name I went straight back to class 7 room, at the top of the iron fire escape staircase,with the smell of TCP,he was in charge of first aid.Sadly Mr Hinchcliffe has died.There is a good pic on freinds reunited and lots of names.I saw yourt post on William St,I lived there from 1952-61.The shops you metioned,the one on the corner of Gower St was run by Mrs Hall her son John was at Alma St at the same time as me.The business behind her shop was a cycle wheel maker who was a relative of my brother-in-law,had a few wheels respoked and trued there.On the opposite corner of Gower St was a blue painted shop type front but no glass,this was a small workshop that did brass turning and screw threading, one of my cousins worked here. I remember Sargents,used to have orange boxes and grape barrels from here as well as fruit and veg.A butcher used to be on the opposite corner of Gerrard and William St.We lived at the the other end, no 103 on the right as you walk towards Clifford St,our garden gave access to Furnace Lane.I have some pics of teams and class at Alma St but they will be before your time also have a pic of Coronation Day 1953.Have found pics of where I used to live in Guildford St thanks to Astoness.
Hi

Infants
Mrs Jones class 1
Miss Parker class 2
Juniors
Miss Kirby class 4
Mrs Morgan class 11
Mr Wildman class 12

I also recall;
Mrs Christian
Mrs Thompson

Mrs Taylor (secretary)
Mrs Hands (biscuit lady)

I have many happy memories of Alma Street School Aston

Regards
Linda

Regards
Linda

Last edited:
These are the names of children I recall from Alma Street School Aston.
Class 12 Mr Wildman 1964/1965..
Apologies to anyone I may have missed out or added in error.

Irene David
Georgina Glenn
Irene Brannan
Kenneth Moore
Carol Gillett
Teresa Jones
Carol Aldhouse
Theresa Mullaney
Philip Brotheridge
David Capper
Paul Ford
Michael Surplice

John Kendall
Roderick Wells
Sandra French
Janet Hadley
Susan Dyson
Geraldine Whitlock
Michael Parkins
Linda Jennings
Roy Leddy
Paul Bevan
Tony Gardener
Paul Smith

Susan McPherson
Joyce Harris
Colin Surman
Paul Barrows
Dorothy Linford
Peter Brookes
Chistine Murphy
Christine Hemmings

Regards
Linda

Last edited:
thanks for the list linda what a memory you have... colin surman and susan dyson are both members of this forum...i am pretty sure sandra french was with me at lozells girls school as was sue dyson

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Linda I was Susan Dyson now Caldicott I 'remember some names
Janet Hadley she was my best friend
Geraldine Whitlock
Susan McPherson
Christine Hemmings
I also remember your name Linda

Hi Linda,firstly i,d like to say what a fantastic memory you have.
What i would like to ask you is(a huge longshot,i know) would you know if the biscuit lady Mrs Hands
had a son named Michael ? and if she would be likely to still be with us.
Michael was my best mate all those years ago (60) and from the day i left Aston have never been able
to track him down. Thanks. All the Best Mal.x

Hi Linda I was Susan Dyson now Caldicott I 'remember some names
Janet Hadley she was my best friend
Geraldine Whitlock
Susan McPherson
Christine Hemmings
I also remember your name Linda

Hi Susan
It’s good to hear from you after all these years!
I recall you being fair haired and taller than the rest of the girls at Alma Primary and Lozells Girls! I grew to be just over 5ft 6ins. At what height did you stop growing? I recall your Dad being tall.

I doubt you remember the following but it’s something I’ve never forgotten; One day after school I went to the Bag-wash with you. It was on Lozells Road. I had never been to a Bag-wash before. You were quite a dab hand at the procedure as I recall, transferring the washing from the washing machine into a huge spin dryer. It think it cost a penny to spin.
While you were taking care of the washing you sent me to a nearby chip shop to buy a six of chips each. Your Mom had given us sixpence each for taking the washing.
Happy memories!

Best wishes
Linda

Last edited:
Hi Linda,firstly i,d like to say what a fantastic memory you have.
What i would like to ask you is(a huge longshot,i know) would you know if the biscuit lady Mrs Hands
had a son named Michael ? and if she would be likely to still be with us.
Michael was my best mate all those years ago (60) and from the day i left Aston have never been able
to track him down. Thanks. All the Best Mal.x
Hi Mal
Thank you for the compliment on my memory.
I’m really sorry but I have no recollection of Mrs Hands having a son. I don’t know anything about her family. I just recall her being a kind lady! I don’t know if she would still be around. I hope you track Michael down though. You never know he may look in on this Forum!
Best wishes
Linda

Back