• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

ALEXANDER James Henry

rosejean

Brummie babby
I'm trying to find some background to my grandmother's family. She was Elsie Alice Alexander, born in 1899 and was married at Boldmere Parish church on July 29th 1922 to Harold George Benton. Her father was James Henry Alexander of 81 Boldmere Road. I believe she had at least 1 sister but do not even know her mother's name. Any information gratefully received with thanks.

On the 1911 census Elsie Alice is with her parents James and Alice at Gate lane, Boldmere Road. James is a medallist jewellery worker.
Also listed are Dora aged 17 (in daily domestic service), Lily aged 5 (at school).

James and Alice (Wright) married at St James Handsworth on 21st September 1897, James is a widower so Dora must be from the first marriage. On the 1891 census he is with a Mary and there is a baby Florence aged 4 months.

Janice

The census for 1911 lists them at Gate lane, Beldrum (?) Road, Wylde Green. Listed Are:
James Henry Alexander, 47, medallist jewellery worker in the masonic jewellery trade, born birmingham
Alice Alexander, wife ,39, born birmingham
daughters:
Dora Alexander, 17, in domestic service, born Aston
Elsie Alice Alexander, 12, born Handsworth
Lily,Alexander, 5, born Aston

Sorry for repeat, did not see posts

The eldest sister, Clara Elizabeth, married Alfred Hawker in 1880 but by 1881 was already a widow and back living with her parents.

She then married Edward Joseph N Renaud in 1885. He was born in Clairvaux France.

In 1891 they were living with Clara's father, (who is now a widower) at 67 Burbury St. Also in the household are Clara's youngest sister Florence and a number of children. (listed as Renaud, the eldest seems to be from Clara's first marriage)

Thanks, that's been very helpful. I'm now trying to go a bit further back, and sideways, and have hit a block. It appears that James Henry Alexander was the child of James Alexander (imaginative naming), b about 1826 and Phoebe (or Pheboe) born in 1830 and died about 1887ish. I can't trace her maiden name anywhere.
Returning to my great grandfather, James Henry, he obviously has children by 2 mothers. Alice Wright is my great grandmother and the mother of Elsie Alice and Lily, but they have a stepsister, Dora (b 1893, d 1969 (?) and another stepsister, Florence (Gertrude?) who was born 9 Jan. 1891 and died later that year. THEIR mother appears to be a Mary Elizabeth ? and I can find no record whatsoever of a first marriage of James Henry Alexander. I'd be grateful if anyone can cast light on who Mary was and if they were in fact ever married.
Many thanks

Mary Elizabeth's maiden name was Bushell. Their marriage was registered Dec qtr 1888, Bham.

Many thanks, but I'm not sure about Mary Elizabeth Bushell. I think I've tracked down her and the marriage you mention, but can't find any link to James Henry Alexander. Please could you tell me where you found the name from as I can find out all sorts about this lady but no mention of James!
Also, where did you find out about Phoebe, as with no marriage I can only trace Phoebe Alexander? Many thanks again

On Ancestry the marriage records show the following marriages listed on the same page: As we know he was with a Mary Elizabeth on the census then we have to assume this is the person he married.

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-30_12-20-47.png
    upload_2017-3-30_12-20-47.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 7
There is a marriage between a Phoebe Jackson and a James Alexander in 1854.

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-30_12-24-17.png
    upload_2017-3-30_12-24-17.png
    194.3 KB · Views: 5
That's brilliant...thanks a lot. I'd found the census record but not the marriage record. The Chase continues!

The GRO site lists mother's maiden names prior to 1911 and there are registrations for the known children with mmn listed as Jackson.

There is a Phoebe Jackson on the 1841 and 1851 census that matches but would need more evidence to confirm.

Back