• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aldridge Road Shops

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone know of any pics from the 1900's of the row of shops that are opposite the entrance to Perry Barr Park (near St John's church). I think the road is Birchfield Road (or possibly College Road). I'm interested in the last shop in the row going towards Perry Barr. Thanks. Viv.

Viv if it,s the shops opposite Church Lane it is Aldridge Rd just there. the shops are still there but there has been a lot of rebuilding around them. Dek

Now found out the last shop in the row was once an antiques shop - I think around 1920/30. My nan and grandad ran the shop. They bought items from the Perry Hall and sold some of it on to Christies in London. They seem to have been quite enterprising. But don't know if it was the blue shop to the right or, what is now a house, to the left. Viv

560791fc-e1be-6ed6.jpg

The row of Aldridge Road shops in 1967. The detached house and garage was the Park Stores run by A.E.Mitchell. Next door (left) the first terraced house was a grocery store run by Clara Madge. And the shop next to that was Arnold's cycle shop. The two terraced shops have now been returned to houses but the detached shop and garage are still retail premises but for food takeaway.

I wonder if the Mitchell's moved across the road to the Park Stores on the corner of Church Road or maybe the Church Road corner shop just took over the name? Viv.

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    205.6 KB · Views: 2
Back