• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Air raid shelters

View attachment 118764
These look like reused shelters

Hello Morturn, My Dad relocated our shelter from the far end of the garden to the end nearest the house almost as soon as the war was over and used it as a coalhouse. The coalhouse was a small room off the kitchen which was then used as a walk-in cupboard sort of thing. Ooh happy memories.

Not a great quality image. Tried to brighten the image Lyn to do justice to that line of washing! Viv.

An air raid shelter nearing completion in Highgate Park 30 August 1939 - just in case it's needed ...... Viv.

image.jpeg

I didn't realise they had to pay for these shelters? £8 was a lot of money then.

I think this refers to Morrison shelters: in March 1941, a limited number were free if your total annual income was below £350 and you didn't share a communal shelter. Income limit was increased for 2+ children. Viv.

image.jpeg

Not something you get to say very often, but is it a toy elephant on wheels wearing a gas mask ? Viv.

can anyone recall a big air raid shelter that was in front of this building...its at no 848 tyburn road..used to be a clinic and is now called charter house...

tyburn road.png

In April 1939, in this Evening Despatch article the Divisional Engineer to the City Architect commented: "They will be permanent, in fact". Well he got that wrong ! Viv.
image.jpeg

The question of the removal of shelters seems to be surrounded by a real nervousness after WW2, which I'd put down to the Cold War. But even when they were obviously a danger to health etc, there was a process to be gone through via the Home Office and Medical Health Officer, before any would be considered for demolition. (Article from the Birmingham Daily Gazette, March 1954). Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 7
I popped into Avoncroft museum today, they have a new air raid shelter mock up. I know some had beds, but think the dinning table set up is pushing the boat out a bit. Never the less, good to see how things were._DSC1897-1.jpg _DSC1898-1.jpg _DSC1899-1.jpg

I seem to recall they have an Anderson shelter mock up at the Henley in Arden history museum, but not sure now, could someone confirm.

Most people who know Streetly are probably unaware that a public air raid shelter used to exist on the corner of Wood Lane and the Chester Road (A 452), on a little patch of grass outside the Post Office and directly opposite the Hardwick Arms and Cutler's Garage.

This shelter was apparently built by the Streetly/Little Aston Home Guard during the winter of 1940/41. I have to wonder whether the fact of building that structure had anything to do with the loving relationship which existed throughout the war between the Hardwick and the local HG blokes. And whether, conceivably, the shelter also doubled as a defensive position, to guard that crossroads in the event of invasion.

A gentleman who once acted as a schoolboy messenger for the local HG unit and lived at 88 Hardwick Road has provided a memory of it in a memoir which he wrote for me, as follows:

It has been said that the Hardwick Arms made a good living out of the Home Guard. A case of mutual support, one assumes! I remember a particular happening which occurred in the early days of the air raids outside London...... At home we did not initially have an air raid shelter, and not knowing what to expect we decided to go to the nearest public shelter which was located opposite to the Hardwick Arms on the grass verge at the commencement of Wood Lane and near to the Post Office. So at the sounding of the warning we trooped up to the shelter. Several of the menfolk stood talking at the bottom of the access steps, and then decided to go and get a pint or two from across the road. They came back and carried on talking when suddenly a piece of anti-aircraft shrapnel came down the steps - you can imagine the speed they moved into the main shelter bemoaning the loss of beer in transit! In those early days in the shelter children did well as they got an ice cream from Mr. & Mrs. Payne who owned the Melbourne Café (now a Chinese Restaurant).

I have been given some cine film showing the building work by the Home Guard men, including my own elder brother, on a snowy weekend day and hope to put it online in due course (when I have mastered the technology!)

Chris

Last edited:
A very conveniently located shelter Chris ! And a nice extract from the HG messenger memoir. Thanks.

The King made a visit to the British Industries Fair, Castle Bromwich in March 1939, and while there checked out the splinter and gas proof shelter on display. Why is there specifically a "splinter proof end " ? Viv.

image.jpeg

I would assume it was a splinter end having those walls protecting the entrance. Presumably the other end was more open to view. Only a calculated guess however. ;)

Re #281, we were issued with an Anderson shelter, at the time we lived in Cranmore Boulevard, Shirley, no idea whether it was free or not. A bomb landed in Clinton Rd parallel to our road in Nov 1940 blowing all our windows out, glass flying every where but we were all unarmed (Mom,Dad 2 sisters and self) thanks to this shelter, which also acted as a large dining room table. I often wonder what happened to it after the war, presumably it was eventually collected ? Eric

What a funny thing to put on the door frame! Looks to me as though it was somebody being over-enthusiastic when preparing the shelter for the King's visit.

It implies that some parts of the shelter were well protected, and others weren't. Can't think that that would have been the case. All I can think of is that we are looking at the main entrance, that entrance was protected by a special gas and splinter-proof door, there was an emergency exit at the other end which, by its nature/size/shape/location didn't enjoy the benefits of such a fancy door and, therefore, the far end of the shelter adjacent to it would not have been quite as safe as this other end.

But who knows?!

Chris

Forgive me for being a cynic, but this was a demonstration at a fair, and I reckon as likely as not was just a mock-up. No doubt Chris can correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt if any other than other than those for VIPs were gas proof. The authorities did many things to keep up moral , including many that were disinformative or just plain lies. Not saying they were necessarily wrong to do so, but I would suggest that the signs were, in effect, just a PR exercise.

Street shelters in the city centre in October 1940. The first in the arches along Livery Street. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Back