• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Air Raid Precautions Handbook

davidfowler

Exiled Brummie
This is Handbook No 14, "The Fire Guards Handbook". It's only 6" x 4" but contains lots of interesting info about stirrup pumps, incedary bombs and how to rescue people.

Interesting document, David, and thanks for posting it. Any chance of further pages?

One of those you have posted already gives guidance about gas masks. Here is an image of the one I possess, originally belonging to a Walsall ARP warden. A fairly unattractive bit of kit.

Members of a certain age will no doubt recall the children's version of this. Mine was a coloured rubber, Mickey Mouse-like thing, designed, I suppose, to make it less objectionable to children. But having that thing stuffed into your face at the age of four is a memory which still lingers. I thought I was being suffocated. Thank goodness, it never had to be used in anger and it disappeared during the post-war years.

Chris

Last edited:
Especially for Chris! I particularly like the last one. Obviously the only way to deal with a fire bomb is to put on your best business suit, shirt, tie and hat BEFORE attending the problem!

I am enjoying them also David, thanks. Looks like a Health and Safety nightmare!

Back