• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Adams', of Aston 1750-1850

priscilla.lorraine.thomas

proper brummie kid
I am trying to find a connection between a James Adams of Aston to a Thomas Miller (ard?) born in Aston.
I am related thru yDNA to James Adams (1820-1880), a silversmith/goldsmith/jeweler who lived in the vicinity of Livery Street and Bread (now Cornwall) St.
I am also related thru Ydna to Thomas Miller (1814-1880) originally of Birmingham (Aston), (likely born on Jennen's Row) but who moved to Nottingham.
I believe Thomas Miller's father was also named Thomas Miller (or Millard) 1775-1865. Thomas Miller Sr. was likely a snuffer maker, perhaps purchasing materials from the same source as the Adams'; perhaps belonging to the same trade fraternity or organization.
I believe James Adams' father was named George and was at one point in the goldsmith or silversmith trade.

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding these specific people -
or have any suggestions on where I can look for clues about any of these men,
the silver/gold trades in Aston at this time,
or where I can find records of adoptions or "bastardy tables" for Aston during this time?

An interesting subject, y chromosome dna but usually needs other information to put it into context.

I'm sure you know that y dna is passed on from father to son unchanged, so all male line descendants of any man will have his y dna.

In your example this could theoretically mean that Thomas Miller and James Adams were (half) brothers with the same father, cousins with the same paternal grandfather or something more distant - 4th cousins, 7th cousins etc - and no way to tell which from just y dna.

And if they shared the same y dna, then all their male line descendants would as well but their kinship even more distant.

Thank you so much for replying. Yes, I understand there was some form of DNA sharing, adoption, mixed families, etc.
According to estimates from FamilyTree DNA, the co-joining of the Adams' and the Millers most likely in this general time-frame, give or take a hundred years or so either way. With admittedly limited research, this seems to be the only set of generations between families where they share a geographic location. This isnt verified, but them living in the same neighborhood gives me a hunch I feel is worth exploring. I am grasping at straws because I feel I have all the documents I know how to find, but they are insufficient for answers.
I am hoping someone on this forum has some information on one or both of these families. Or someone here has advice on where to hunt for documentation, official or unofficial, on adoptions, bastardy lists or anything like that. I understand that, going back to this period, they may not have any adoptions records or anything like that.

I assume that your dna test has connected you to a descendant of these 2 families. Do they know anything?

The only Thomas Miller I can see baptised in Aston/Bham around 1814 is the son of a John & Martha (nee Earl).

And assuming James Adams married a Hannah Kloen then his father was George, listed as such on his marriage.

However, even if that is correct it seems that both their fathers would be dead ends. No certainty where either came from and no sign of them on the 1841 census.

Last edited:
Back