• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Acknowledging sources

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Just want to say a personal ‘Thank You’ to member Covroad for regularly posting sources of images. This is very welcome. I know it can be time consuming (and asking a lot to routinely do this) but it really helps to refer back if researching a topic and gives us the opportunity to acknowledge others who’ve made the effort before us.

Sometimes it need only be a reference such as ‘Phyllis Nicklin photo’ or ‘Library of Birmingham’ etc. But it really helps. Thanks.

I agree with you there 100%, Vivienne.

Current culture - and especially Facebook culture - dictates that everything online is up for grabs, it's free to do what one likes with it and why on earth should one spare a thought for the mug who has expended time and effort and possibly money in making it publicly available. Nothing must get in the way of that warm glow when the image results in dozens of Likes or "Wows!" or "OMGs!" Especially when no further information is given and then everyone, unnecessarily, starts to speculate as to the what and where and who and why.

Standards of common courtesy seem virtually non-existent, both towards the originator of the information who has had his/her work pirated without acknowledgement or appreciation; and to the new recipient who might just welcome the courtesy of an easy route towards additional - and first-hand - information.

We're all guilty to one extent or another, even in a non-Facebook forum like this. And it's not always practicable to do what common courtesy demands. But all of us need to go to a bit more trouble over this. And we should never forget just how fortunate we are, now, to have an almost unlimited library available to us at the click of a button. I'm still struck by the wonder of it all. It wasn't always the case, and it didn't all appear by accident.

Chris

Back