• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

a short story in verse

gingerjon

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN R.I.P.
a view from Bob Houghton

The sun hangs high in a clear blue sky
Its such a lovely day to roam The sun hangs high in a clear blue sky
but don’t for get to take your rubbish home or dispose in a waste bin
Remember when if you did not conform it was a sin
And taught that cleanliness was next to godliness
Ah I remember it well but a different story I now must tell

Lets take a break and the office forsake take a country walk a big mistake
Paddle in the cool blue sea before tea just you and me
Sing a ditty leave behind the city to miss this chance would be such a pity
Feel free is all I ask throw away that formal mask its an easy task
Soon you’ll ask for more as feelings soar walking along a dampened shore
Tiptoe amongst broken glass congealed patches of oil silver foil raw sewage and Fishnet nylon rope uncoil rubber tyre leftovers from an open fire
Sit by the quay What do I see blue algae grateful refugee goodness me effluent bobbing on the sea
What can be done toxic drum awful hum with fumes over come
Beyond the fringe hypodermic syringe plastic basket polystyrene moulding
Blue plastic sheets unfolding tubes that once held sun tan empty aluminium beer can infected needle point huddled groups sharing a joint
Throw away take away half eaten odd trainers strange items of clothes soiled under ware no one to care many hands beg brought up in a hurry Baltie cheep plonk Chinese curry Kerbed sliced from a revolving elephants leg
Youths spit dog shit coughs and sneezes spread diseases so much displeases
A walk in the country is now no different from the back streets of the city such a pity
Personal pride a gigantic slump turning all into a rubbish dump

I'd love to hear him speak that..........words flow from his mouth like just as they were meant to :smitten:

:angel: John sad to say that could also have been written by some NZ'ers in some parts of this country, more and more areas a being add to that pcture each year too.

Chris :angel:

Just to add to what Sue was saying. I love Bob's words.... But if you could all just hear him speak them, I'm sure you would be knocked out by it.

Back