• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

90th Regiment of Foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christina

master brummie
Hello out there, can anyone give me some help please? On various birth certificates/marriage certificates I have noticed that my 3 x great grandfather (born 1821) is shown as a Solider. I always doubted this until I had the death certificate of his first wife and in the one section it lists her as being the widow of the late William Redding (she died in 1878) it says Private in 90th foot.

As a coincidence Williams son George married Sarah Ann and her father was also in the same regiment, and it appears he was in the China (Opium) Wars in the 1850's. They also all lived in the same area.

I think this is why I can never find William on the later Census records as I assume he was overseas.

Does anyone know where I can info on soldiers records for this period. I've quite a bit on the Opium Wars but nothing who served.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Regards

Christina
:smug:

90th Foot were Originally Perthshire Volunteers, although they recruited all over.
I assume as you (Christine) are a Brummie, your relative may have also been one?

Military records are held at National Archives, Kew. They may have Muster Rolls for the period in question which list all the chaps in the Regiment.
Brian

I certainly am a Brummie, right back in my ancestral line to the 1600's. Thanks for the info. It's like my Grandfather who joined the Devonshires for WW! and my Great Uncle who was in the Durham Light Infantry, they certainly recruited from all over. I'll have a look on NTA site and then when I do my yearly visit I'll know where to look. Regards Christina

Yes it is Birmingham related being as my ancestor whom I was enquiring about, being my 3 times great grandfather was born in Digbeth as were all my ancestors and it seemed strange that somefrom Birmingham was in what was originally a Scottish Regiment. It has now been answered.

A brother of my 1st mother in law was in a Highland regiment. He was from Brum also.

Now that your question has been answered, its time to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back