• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

86 Larches St. Birmingham

Russell George

Brummie babby
Hi all, new member here. I am doing some research on my wife's family, specifically her aunt, Margaret PHILLIPS, nee TWEEDLEY who was married to Alfred Raymond Phillips. Between 1962 and 1965 they were residing at 86 Larches St. Birmingham, does anyone have any information that I might find useful? Thanks in advance.

Should also add that they had two children Margaret and Raymond Ambrose PHILLIPS.

That recent, family are usually the best bet for interesting info. Can tell you their marriage was reg. 1944 and children's birth were reg. 1944 (Margaret) and 1958 (Raymond) which you probably already know.

Maps of Larches St, both sides of no. 86 (1950)...

0 - Larches St 1.jpg 0 - Larches St 2.jpg

A search will bring up other threads for you.

Hi all, new member here. I am doing some research on my wife's family, specifically her aunt, Margaret PHILLIPS, nee TWEEDLEY who was married to Alfred Raymond Phillips. Between 1962 and 1965 they were residing at 86 Larches St. Birmingham, does anyone have any information that I might find useful? Thanks in advance.

Should also add that they had two children Margaret and Raymond Ambrose PHILLIPS.
Russell, was your Alfred born around 1902? If you say yes or maybe I will ask you a few more questions.

Nick S Phillips

There is a funeral notice and death registration for an Alfred Raymond Phillips in 2009 giving his dob as 13 Oct 1923.

The funeral notice mentions his wife, Margaret, and 2 children, Raymond and Margaret, names that match those given by the OP so I think this is the correct Alfred mentioned originally. So I think your Alfred and his are not the same person.

This info wasn't from Russell but what I found out.

Apologies for any confusion.

MWS, thanks for your reply. I do like it when I know the name of the person who replies.

The name Alfred Phillips, appear a number of times in my family tree that for some reason I cant trace. In 1861 Robert Phillips was living in Winchcombe aged 34, he had a son named Alfred aged 1 (my uncle). My grand father Charles R Phillips was born in 1864. At that time a number of Phillips families lived in the locality.
Around 1893 a number of Phillips families moved from the area to Birmingham, its not been easy to trace them. Others moved to Wales, Don't try to trace them. Others moved north.
I've not done much work on my family tree the last few years.
But something I learnt, was You can spend days researching one person.

Nick S Phillips

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Russell, was your Alfred born around 1902? If you say yes or maybe I will ask you a few more questions.

Nick S Phillips
Nick, the Alfred Raymond Phillips I am researching was born on 13 October 1923 at Birmingham, his father Alfred E Phillips born 3 May 1896 at Aston Warwickshire

There is an Alfred R Phillips (alone) listed there on the ERs from 2002-2009 which fits in.
Yes that's him. After they were married Alf and Margaret lived with Alf's parents at 87 Highgate Rd. then sometime between 1960 and 1962 Alf and Margaret moved to 86 Larches St. Margaret died in 1989 and the next that I know about Alf is that he turned up residing at the garth between 2002 and 2009 when he died. If anyone had access to any obituaries it would be a great source of further info for me.

No, from a funeral notice and a death registration I found that match the given details.
Nick if you could pass on those details of funeral notices it would be greatly appreciated.
Also of note is that Alf was known to be in the armed services, possibly British Para airborne motor Transport branch but I can not locate his military records at this stage. .

Attachments

• Alf PHILLIPS and Margaret PHILLIPS, nee TWEEDLEY with daughter Margaret circa 1944 to 1945.jpg
    Alf PHILLIPS and Margaret PHILLIPS, nee TWEEDLEY with daughter Margaret circa 1944 to 1945.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 5
Yes that's him. After they were married Alf and Margaret lived with Alf's parents at 87 Highgate Rd. then sometime between 1960 and 1962 Alf and Margaret moved to 86 Larches St. Margaret died in 1989 and the next that I know about Alf is that he turned up residing at the garth between 2002 and 2009 when he died. If anyone had access to any obituaries it would be a great source of further info for me.
Alf and Margaret lived at the Garth before 2002. My late father in law died in 1986 and they were living there then.
1980 phonebook entry
1705074436655.png

Alf and Margaret lived at the Garth before 2002. My late father in law died in 1986 and they were living there then.
1980 phonebook entry
View attachment 188057
1980 phonebook entry
View attachment 188057
Janice thanks very much for this additional information, I only had access to electoral roll records so the first time I found Alf at the Garth was in 2003, now that I know from your phone book records that he was there in 1980 I will work on the assumption that they were both there from that time up until Margaret died in 1989 and then Algf stayed there until his passing. Thanks again.

Janice thanks very much for this additional information, I only had access to electoral roll records so the first time I found Alf at the Garth was in 2003, now that I know from your phone book records that he was there in 1980 I will work on the assumption that they were both there from that time up until Margaret died in 1989 and then Algf stayed there until his passing. Thanks again.
Just checked with my husband, he moved to the Garth with his Dad in 1971 and is convinced Alf and Margaret were there then. The last online eroll is 1967 so one assumes they moved between then and 1971.

Nick if you could pass on those details of funeral notices it would be greatly appreciated.
Also of note is that Alf was known to be in the armed services, possibly British Para airborne motor Transport branch but I can not locate his military records at this stage. .
WW2 records are not generally avalable online but you can request them if a person is deceased at

You may have gathered from my user name that the Mrs Burns referred to in the thanks notice was my late mother in law. Her and Margaret used to visit one another and to save having to go down one garden to the right of way at the bottom and back up the other garden had a gate put. Either Alf or my late father in law put a gate at the top so they could nip round quickly.
Front doors were never used.

Back