• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

85 Bordesley Green

It brings back a lot of memories to me. My Aunt Win lived at the start of Victoria St, at the back of a hairdressers called Ella's. My mom was a dinner lady at what was then Bordesley Green Tech school for boys on Bordesley Green Road. A nice little area at the time. I've remembered that one of the ladies that looked after the Doctor's house was called Mrs Franklin.
Hope you're feeling better, Lyn.

yes lynn the area like so many was so nice back then...thanks for your memories as well...thanks for asking...only started to feel an improvement yesterday but it really knocked me about...nearly got my voice back and the awful pain has nearly gone now..finish the tabs tomorrow but im not pushing it just yet

lyn x

It brings back a lot of memories to me. My Aunt Win lived at the start of Victoria St, at the back of a hairdressers called Ella's. My mom was a dinner lady at what was then Bordesley Green Tech school for boys on Bordesley Green Road. A nice little area at the time. I've remembered that one of the ladies that looked after the Doctor's house was called Mrs Franklin.
Hope you're feeling better, Lyn.
Hi Lyn Mrs Franklin was my mum, I have still not manage to find a photo of the property have a couple in the yard area at the back and a group pic of Dr Bowen's retirement. Will scan them in and put on here, I am so grateful for everyone's help maybe one will turn up.

hi sheila and welcome to the forum....we would love to see those photos you have as it will add to the history of number 85 and at least we do have that long shot photo on post 19 ...many thanks

lyn

Just shown the photo of Bordesley Green to Graham and it brought back a lot of memories. He lived in Price Albert Street and his friend lied in Palace Road. He remembered Dr Jones before I mentioned him. Lovely photo and so sad that it's all gone. So much character there then.

Hi Lyn Mrs Franklin was my mum, I have still not manage to find a photo of the property have a couple in the yard area at the back and a group pic of Dr Bowen's retirement. Will scan them in and put on here, I am so grateful for everyone's help maybe one will turn up.
Hi Sheila,
How lovely to hear from Mrs Franklin's daughter! If I remember correctly did she also help dispensing the prescriptions? As I recall there was an area behind the waiting room where you collected them.
Lynn.

Just shown the photo of Bordesley Green to Graham and it brought back a lot of memories. He lived in Price Albert Street and his friend lied in Palace Road. He remembered Dr Jones before I mentioned him. Lovely photo and so sad that it's all gone. So much character there then.
Hi Lady P.
We loved Dr Jones. I remember him coming in to me when I had measles when I was about 4. We lived off Little Green Lane at the Coventry Road end. He was more like a friend than a Doctor. I seem to remember there was some tragedy with some members of his family involving a car accident.
Lynn R.

Hi Sheila,
How lovely to hear from Mrs Franklin's daughter! If I remember correctly did she also help dispensing the prescriptions? As I recall there was an area behind the waiting room where you collected them.
Lynn.

She was more a receptionist and did take in urine to test it for the doctors. Yes she did hand out prescriptions from behind the partition. I got married from this house in 1962 .

She was more a receptionist and did take in urine to test it for the doctors. Yes she did hand out prescriptions from behind the partition. I got married from this house in 1962 .

I have a few pics of the back yard and Dr Bowens retirement I so wished I had taken photo's. It had 4 attics and 4 cellars to extra receptions as well as the waiting room. A huge Kitchen that had a box on the wall that had red stars in it and when a bell was pushed in any room it rang in the kitchen. So many memories

Hi Lady P.
We loved Dr Jones. I remember him coming in to me when I had measles when I was about 4. We lived off Little Green Lane at the Coventry Road end. He was more like a friend than a Doctor. I seem to remember there was some tragedy with some members of his family involving a car accident.
Lynn R.

Yes that was so sad his wife and 8 year old daughter where killed in a RTA on their way to Wales for a family holiday.

Hi Lady P.
Lynn R.
We lived in the shop in Prince Albert Street before we moved next door to the big house .

We lived in the shop in Prince Albert Street before we moved next door to the big house .
Sheila,
It's so sad but we didn't take photos so often then did we? I have very few of my parents and it would mean the world to me to find more. I read on an old post on here that some had been posted of the surgery but they are no longer available to view. But that means someone somewhere has some.
Do you know what year the house became a Doctors surgery? You had a shop in Prince Albert Street?
Lynn R.

Sheila,
It's so sad but we didn't take photos so often then did we? I have very few of my parents and it would mean the world to me to find more. I read on an old post on here that some had been posted of the surgery but they are no longer available to view. But that means someone somewhere has some.
Do you know what year the house became a Doctors surgery? You had a shop in Prince Albert Street?
Lynn R.
Y
Sheila,
Lynn R.
Hi Lynn R
I agree, the inside where we lived was amazing, It was a surgery when I was 7 in 1950 and I do believe it was some years before that but we did not move to the shop which was right next door to the Vic Pub until I was seven. we moved to the surgery when I was 13. I wish I knew who posted pics. The pic I have posted is Dr Bowens retirement my Mom is the smaller lady in the white coat next to the doctor, The surgery was wood paneled to match the panelling in the main house.

Attachments

• 28468419_10156150484491730_2762189045779849714_n.jpg
    28468419_10156150484491730_2762189045779849714_n.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 14
Y

Hi Lynn R
I agree, the inside where we lived was amazing, It was a surgery when I was 7 in 1950 and I do believe it was some years before that but we did not move to the shop which was right next door to the Vic Pub until I was seven. we moved to the surgery when I was 13. I wish I knew who posted pics. The pic I have posted is Dr Bowens retirement my Mom is the smaller lady in the white coat next to the doctor, The surgery was wood paneled to match the panelling in the main house.
Sheila,
I recognised your Mom straight away, I remember her as a small lady, always neat and tidy. What lovely pics for you to treasure. My Aunt Win lived at the top of Victoria Street, down an entry that would have backed on to the Doctors house. She knew your Mom very well. Am I right in thinking Mrs Franklin was quite young when she passed away?

Sheila,
I recognised your Mom straight away, I remember her as a small lady, always neat and tidy. What lovely pics for you to treasure. My Aunt Win lived at the top of Victoria Street, down an entry that would have backed on to the Doctors house. She knew your Mom very well. Am I right in thinking Mrs Franklin was quite young when she passed away?

Hi Lyn,
Yes she was only 58 it took me a long time to get over losing her, if I ever have.

what wonderful photos sheila..many thanks for sharing them with us....little treasures.

lyn

Those are brilliant pictures Sheila. Graham's up the shed at the moment but I'll definitely show him when he gets back. I think the problem with not having many photos is that it wasn't cheap to take them and people tended to have a small camera unless they were lucky or photography was their hobby. It never ceases to amaze me how these photos 'come out' and make someone's day.

Graham has just returned, paintbrush in hand, and says that he remembers going into the shop but it closed after that. Was this when your family moved out?

It wasn't so much the taking as the developing and printing - which nowadays is a touch of a switch on a printer

Back