• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

7th Dragoon Guards

gemma

master brummie
Not sure if this is the right section to enter this question in. Is there any connection with the 7th Dragoon Guards 1850-1860 to Birmingham. I have a relative that was fighting in Pakistan in the Dragoon Guards whilst his wife was back at home in Birmingham although they had previously been living in Manchester. I wondered if their was a training base in Birmingham anywhere?

Thankyou Ray,
I know that my ancester died crossing the Indus river in 1858. If they were stationed in Birmingham before leaving thats probably why the family were brought over from Manchester to live their too. Would family have stayed in homes provided by the Dragoon Guards? Would his widow have been given a 'pension'?

Gemma,
The family probably did live in married quarters,the census for 1851-1861 should tell you.
If the widow did have a pension it would have been paltry,and she may have had to go on relief.
However,someone in my family tree,was a relieving officer in the Gt.Brook St.area,and he was an ex Indian army officer,so I'm sure he would have looked on the widow of a soldier favourably...I hope:):)

Back