• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

63 Kenyon Street

Maggiem

Maggie
Hi all,
Remember me I am the girl from the Jewellery Quarter. For all you historians out there who are interested in old Brum I have written a book which is currently on Kindle. The book title is 63, Kenyon Street, which has had some very good reviews.
Set in Birmingham in 1937 the story starts with two sisters Kitty and Maggie from Northern Ireland who travel across the Irish sea searching for work in England.
Old and familiar Birmingham landmarks are remembered in the book. The BSR in Armoury Road, Small Heath. The Back-to-Back houses in Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter
The old City Centre, also the Bullring Shopping area of yesteryear, especially the original Rag Market.
The story describes Birmingham in the blitz. It tells of Kitty now married evacuating to South Wales with her baby daughter.
The arrival of the GI’s and the influence their arrival had on young unworldly innocent British females.
The story paints a vivid picture of the war time black market when under the counter commodities brought profits to the spivs that sold them.
It is also a family saga that deals with domestic violence. The reader is taken on a journey right through to the 1990’s. Packed with plenty of atmosphere the story is very relevant to the period.
Besides a British interest this story could appeal to both an Irish and American audience as it gives insight into the Irish troubles of 1916 When the Black and Tans ran riot in Ireland.
My book has only been recently launched onto Kindle and feedback from readers say that it was a book that they couldn’t put down.
My author name is Margaret Treherne

Back