• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

4 & 5 Loveday Street

izzy eckerslike

master brummie
I'm trying to find information on a tool dealer who had premises at 4 & 5 Loveday street around 1901, I don't know which end the numbers ran on the street but I can see from other posts that there was a maternity hospital and some houses.
If anyone has access to photo's or details of various businesses that operated from this address up to WW1 then I would be most grateful.

I'm not too sure what the companies name might be, 'The Pittler Company' was originally registered to Wilhelm von Pittler in 1889, who retailed via a London tool dealer called George Adams, the latter eventually took over the business himself.
The business in B,ham were possibly just an agency and operating under a different name.
It could also possibly be under Adams & Butler, the latter being the manager of the Loveday st business

Pittler catalogue 1899.jpg

Last edited:
From Kellys (date is publication date, so would probably refer to year before):
1900. Adams, Butler & Co, engineers. By the 1903 edition they had disappeared
The c1954 map below shows the position, near Lancaster circus, Numbering was the same in 1900

map c1954 showing position of 3-5 Loveday St.jpg

There are quite a few old photos of Lancaster Place on BHF which could show you what the building looked like. Admittedly it doesn't answer your quetion.

From Kellys (date is publication date, so would probably refer to year before):
1900. Adams, Butler & Co, engineers. By the 1903 edition they had disappeared
The c1954 map below shows the position, near Lancaster circus, Numbering was the same in 1900

Thank you mikejee, they were on the corner with Bailey street according to the map. Lots of the post 1905 Pittler lathes exist with a G.Adams plate but not so many known plated by Adams/Butler.
I have a Pittler catalogue dated 1901 and it no longer mentions the Loveday st address so it seems to have been a very short liaison.

Last edited:
Back