• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

The Green Kings Norton

Mike Fisher

Billesley Boy
where was 20 The Green , Kings Norton was it a pub ,if so what was it's name, my relative William John Fisher appears there as a beer retailer from 1939 to 1964

Mike

The directorys do not give a name the 1962 directory say

Green (The)

20 Fisher Wm Jn Beer Rtlr

where was 20 The Green , Kings Norton was it a pub ,if so what was it's name, my relative William John Fisher appears there as a beer retailer from 1939 to 1964

Mike

William Fisher was still listed there in 1968 (Kelly's)
No. 20 is opposite where the Kings Norton Picture House used to be, now a café.
Image thanks to Google Earth

Colin

I remember it as an 'outdoor' when I lived on the Green in the late 70s. It seemed a large and impressive building for 'just' an outdoor!

It was lisyed as a beer retailer back to 1932. In 1921 it was listed as a baker.

I remember one of those building restoration programmes they did on TV. One of the buildings chosen was on the green, was it the grammar school? I seem to remember a Saracen's Head being mentioned. We went to the museum some time ago but they'd have lots of information I should imagine.

I'm sure the old Saracens Head in the green was the building in that TV restoration program Pen. In fact I think it won the award and a donation for its restoration, with a proviso that it opens up to the public. Don't know what happened there, as I don't think its open to the public.

Back