• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1951 B.S.A. Festival of Britain Gala Day at Golden Hillock Road

Just found this thread, I have got two photo's of a tug of war competition with my mom and aunt in one of the teams when she worked at the BSA during the war. I would put them on the forum, but unfortuantely I don't know how to.

I was there that day, aged 7 and sitting on my brother's shoulders! thanks for posting.

No, I thank you for posting the photos, and triggering buried memories, which is the beauty of the forum, best wishes,

Chris

GAWD your young Graham! I was 18 and in RAF doing my bit in 1951. Good to see a post from you, John Crump Oldbrit. parker, Co USA

Just found this thread, I have got two photo's of a tug of war competition with my mom and aunt in one of the teams when she worked at the BSA during the war. I would put them on the forum, but unfortuantely I don't know how to.

Just click on the image icon and upload it from your computer, if you cant do it email it to me maris@btinternet.com and I will do it.

MOMS1.jpgMOMS2.jpgMy mom is the first lady on second photo and my aunt sixth lady, BSA during the war, unfortunately I don't know the date. As you can see they put every effort into it.

I was there that day, taking part in a physical training spot with the Birmingham Boys clubs. I also seem to remember the barge (Narrow Boat) being there, which was salvaged by the B.Boys Club. It was a sunken wreck, which was transformed by volunteers and professional boat builders. I think it was named the 'Norman Chamberlain' I spent many hours working on it with lots of others. One of the boat builders was a Frank Hatton of Brantley Road, Witton who's son Terry was a friend of mine. During the next 2-3 years I spent several weekends on the boat. Snow and Ice being amongst the conditions we encountered. The boat was sailed from Gas Street to London for the Festival of Britain. George

Back