• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1939 Rent Strike

jpsmyth

master brummie
I've started this thread as I've been researching my family history, presently around the Wallace surname. During this research I've come across articles featuring my Great Great Grandmother Caroline Jane Wallace (Maiden name Edge). The link came via a 1939 census record stating she lived at 106 Caldwell Road, Birmingham. At this time she was widowed and lived with her children:

Caroline Wallace: 59 - Widow
Joseph Wallace: 37 - Builder
Albert Wallace: 33 - Builder
Ivy M Wallace: 26 - Machinist
William Wallace: 21 - Assembler and inspector of sheet metals

In particular I'm trying to find photos of Wallace family members buried at the Witton Cemetery, I've used the usual "Grave" websites but oddly (for such a large cemetery) Witton has not been photographed much.

The surname has been incorrectly spelt as "Wallis" as opposed to "Wallace", looking back through records this seemed quite common.

Post in thread 'Birmingham Newspapers 1939-1945'

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ingham-newspapers-1939-1945.47051/post-574544

79F72831-F816-4402-9762-63284FFC2A25.jpeg

Although not strictly related to WWII the 13 week Birmingham Rent Strike of 1939, said to be the largest at that time, is still mentioned in the study of the history of council housing.

The article associated with the picture says that one women waved a baton and added: "I feel sorry for the poor unfortunate bailiff who succeeds in getting into a house, because once in he will never get out. The women will come from all over the place."

At the time it seems that Councillor Pritchett was blaming it on so-called "Communists", and describing Court Farm Estate as the hot-bed of the strike. On the other hand some were calling the Councillor "Herr Pritchett."

Last edited:
My parents moved into their house in Kingstanding in January 1933, the rent was 10/3d a week which included the rates.
They lived there until dad died and four years later mom was moved into a nursing home, the rent at the end was £17.40 a week,
They didn't get hot water until the late 1960s and council maintenance amounted to decorating one room about every six or seven years, they paid for that house over and over again.
The build price to the council was under £200 a house, had my father been brave enough to take out a mortgage (he'd still the 1920s depression in mind) and buy a house at the time they would have owned a hundred grand house by retirement.

In particular I'm trying to find photos of Wallace family members buried at the Witton Cemetery, I've used the usual "Grave" websites but oddly (for such a large cemetery) Witton has not been photographed much.

I'm assuming you've seen this one...

I've started this thread as I've been researching my family history, presently around the Wallace surname. During this research I've come across articles featuring my Great Great Grandmother Caroline Jane Wallace (Maiden name Edge). The link came via a 1939 census record stating she lived at 106 Caldwell Road, Birmingham. At this time she was widowed and lived with her children:

Caroline Wallace: 59 - Widow
Joseph Wallace: 37 - Builder
Albert Wallace: 33 - Builder
Ivy M Wallace: 26 - Machinist
William Wallace: 21 - Assembler and inspector of sheet metals

Hi,

I'm so excited to find a descendant of Mrs Wallace. I'm a PhD student writing a thesis on the 1939 rent strikes, which were not confined to Birmingham, although this was the biggest and best documented in the press. Your great great grandmother is my pivotal point about the strikes being about women and the struggles they faced, and in the history department at Reading University, I named her as a woman from the twentieth century who should be remembered. I think she appeared on our Twitter feed! I've found out as much as I can from the censuses etc, but, like you, have no photograph. She strikes me as a strong, vibrant woman who thought about and understood her neighbours and all those faced with soaring rents. Here is my description of her in my thesis - still a work in progress. I hope to have it finished this time next year. I'd love to hear of anything you know about her.

Attachments

• Screenshot (65).png
    Screenshot (65).png
    129.4 KB · Views: 8
Hi, thanks for the update, that's very interesting. There is a photo of Mrs Wallace outside her house at the start of this thread. I'll look into my family tree information and see it I have any additional information that may be of use to you.

Hi, thanks for the update, that's very interesting. There is a photo of Mrs Wallace outside her house at the start of this thread. I'll look into my family tree information and see it I have any additional information that may be of use to you.
Thank you, that would be great. It's marvellous to make contact with the descendants of the people I write about. Of all the strikers I've uncovered by name, she is my favourite.

Post in thread 'Birmingham Newspapers 1939-1945'

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...ingham-newspapers-1939-1945.47051/post-574544

View attachment 180166

Although not strictly related to WWII the 13 week Birmingham Rent Strike of 1939, said to be the largest at that time, is still mentioned in the study of the history of council housing.

The article associated with the picture says that one women waved a baton and added: "I feel sorry for the poor unfortunate bailiff who succeeds in getting into a house, because once in he will never get out. The women will come from all over the place."

At the time it seems that Councillor Pritchett was blaming it on so-called "Communists", and describing Court Farm Estate as the hot-bed of the strike. On the other hand some were calling the Councillor "Herr Pritchett."

It was most interesting to see this reference to Councillor Pritchett!

My grandfather (Jack Corbett) was on the Birmingham Municipal Tenants' Association committee at the time of this action and, although it isn't clear whether he coined the term, he certainly was recorded in the Birmingham Post as referring to the Councillor in a meeting as a "miniature Hitler" and a "petty dictator".

The prospect of the Means Test was extremely unpopular!

Attachments

• The Birmingham RENT STRIKE 1939 Pritchett.PNG
    The Birmingham RENT STRIKE 1939 Pritchett.PNG
    252.3 KB · Views: 10
It was most interesting to see this reference to Councillor Pritchett!

My grandfather (Jack Corbett) was on the Birmingham Municipal Tenants' Association committee at the time of this action and, although it isn't clear whether he coined the term, he certainly was recorded in the Birmingham Post as referring to the Councillor in a meeting as a "miniature Hitler" and a "petty dictator".

The prospect of the Means Test was extremely unpopular!
Great!

Yes, your grandfather may have coined the phrase, though many of the strikers also called him this (and others did to other councillors in other strikes in England). It was waiting to happen! You may not have seen a photo of Pritchett, showing his unfortunate choice of facial fashion. I wonder how many men shaved off their moustaches on the 2nd September, 1939. Your grandfather, according to a fellow CPGB member of the BMTA, Ted Smallbone, made up words to a popular song, Blaze Away. Do you have any information or stories about your grandfather or any of his BMTA friends? I'm now writing a chapter on them on my PHD thesis, and it would be fascinating to hear about him. Thanks.

Great!

Yes, your grandfather may have coined the phrase, though many of the strikers also called him this (and others did to other councillors in other strikes in England). It was waiting to happen! You may not have seen a photo of Pritchett, showing his unfortunate choice of facial fashion. I wonder how many men shaved off their moustaches on the 2nd September, 1939. Your grandfather, according to a fellow CPGB member of the BMTA, Ted Smallbone, made up words to a popular song, Blaze Away. Do you have any information or stories about your grandfather or any of his BMTA friends? I'm now writing a chapter on them on my PHD thesis, and it would be fascinating to hear about him. Thanks.
Ted Smallbone was recorded for the British Library talking about the Spanish Civil War and its songs (unfortunately the BL site was hacked, but I hope it may be accessible soon.) Ted was a toolmaker and there's plenty about him available. He was instrumental in setting up the Birmingham Peace Garden which has a Spanish Civil War memorial. Good luck with your PhD.

Back