• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. james houston

Marshall & Snelgrove

Hello Judy I've posted a photo of the old Marshall & Snellgrove external shot .Jim
  2. james houston

Marshall & Snelgrove

Marshall & Snelgrove Corporation St. In the early 70s our firm Swan Instalations did all the Electrical work in this building when it was being converted into The Magnum Hotel by Bryants
  3. james houston

Marshall & Snelgrove

4. james houston

234 Knowle Road. Electoral Register information

Hello Maurice, I think Charles and Annie moved to Birmingham from their house probably between 1917 and 18 to live with their daughter Ettie Heggie.Annies last abode is listed at 79 Holly Lane on her burial record for 1919.Charles was still on the electoral register in Sheffied until 1928 but i...
  5. james houston

Thanks to you all the information this has finally filled in the gaps of the stories my wife was told of the shop in Passey Rd and of living in Knowle Rd.Cheers Jim
  6. james houston

This is Charles Deanes burial record from 1929 giving his last address.
  7. james houston

Hello Mike, is there any way I can find out whether 19 Passey Rd could have been a shop please.Jim
  8. james houston

Having looked at all the information gratefully received I've begin to wonder if maybe Vera Jessie Brooks and Vera Jessie Smith may have rented a shop in Passey Rd between 1929 and 1935 as well as living at 234 Knowle Rd.I have also found out that Vera Jessie's father Charles Deane was living...
  9. james houston

Electrical shop corner Wilton Rd and Stratford road

This is where the building was
  10. james houston

The dates I remember it being there are 1960s and 70s.
  11. james houston

Can anyone tell me the name of the Electrical Shop that was on the corner of Wilton Rd and Stratford Rd please.
  12. james houston

Certainly a mystery to us as my wifes father always talked about living there and going to College Rd school which I understand was a junior school ,if they didn't move to 234 Knowle Rd till 1930 then he would have been 12 years old and of senior school age.
  13. james houston

Hello pjmburns, these people were my wifes relations the story that was passed down through the family to her was that they left Sheffield in the 20s and moved to run a shop in Passey Rd Sparkhill.The shop apparently went pear shaped and they moved to 234 Knowle Rd where the lived for many...
  14. james houston

Thank you once again Mikejee top class research as normal.Jim
  15. james houston

They were both over 30 years of age
  16. james houston

Thanks Mike can I find out anywhere where they might have lived in the 20s as I know they moved from Sheffield to Birmingham after 1921
  17. james houston

Hello I wonder if anyone can help , I am trying to find out what year that Vera Jessie Brooks and Vera Gladys Smith moved into :- 234 Knowle Road Sparkhill I think that it was between 1921 and 1930.Many thanks. Jim
  18. james houston

Guildford Street Lozells

Do you think he could be on Electoral Register for 1923 at this address , his name is Frederick Rooker.
Back