• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. R

can you place any forum issues in here after the rebuild

Phone, iPad and computer all working fine! Thank you…
  2. R

Aston Cross and Villa Cross picture houses

Never went to the Lyric, but the Palladium always seemed to have great flicks!
  3. R

happy birthday bob davis

Happy Birthday Bob, have a great day with many many more returns!
  4. R

Our childhood toys

Sorry about this!
  5. R

Our childhood toys

6. R

Our childhood toys

This is a Chatanooga Choo Choo! It is a part of the Chatanooga Mountain Valley Railroad. A couple of years ago for Christmas, our son and his wife gave us dinner (white linen tablecloths) on a two-hour train ride pulled by a sister locomotive. This was taken in the CMVR yard near the station.
  7. R

Temporary churches, prefabricated churches, tin tabernacles, iron churches, iron chapels

Back in the day, galvanizing was “hot dipped” tending to leave a thicker coating. Today most (not all) galvanizing is electro galvanizing which is basically a plating process. Electro galvanizing does work quite well, uses less material and is excellent for metalworking and takes paint very...
  8. R

Our childhood toys

Amazing how satisfied and pleased we were to get a single figure once in awhile. I collected Coldstream Guards on horseback (made out of lead and leaded paint) I wasn’t told they could make me sick so I didn’t.
  9. R

Home made traditional food

Today is Cinco Demayo you should be serving that with a margarita or Don Julio! Love those quesadillas….
  10. R

Home made traditional food

I think slow cooked or braised meats are the absolute best! Along with rice and macaroni pudding of course :) , maybe some bread pudding as well!
  11. R

Then & Now

What we call: “snatching defeat from the jaws of victory” particularly photo 1. Thank you!
  12. R

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

Castellated, your great uncle maintained and refit the drive belts for the machinery. It was for the most part a critical job. Many of the belts “back in the day” had to be custom fit or they were even more dangerous. Usually there was a master drive belt from the power source which was more...
  13. R

OLD AND NEW PHOTOGRAPHS

And they were pretty good days! Could really go for a cheese roll and a pint right now.
  14. R

Cadbury's Bournville Factory

The belts were leather and maintenance was important, if a belt failed during work hours it was a severe safety issue. When I left Brooke Tool Automation in November 1962, 30% of the machines were still belt driven.
  15. R

Our childhood toys

I had numerous invisible friends! Never knew about Kelly dolls or totopoly either.
  16. R

Our childhood toys

I must have lived under a rock, I never remember subbuteo or new footy :-(
  17. R

IN OUR GARDEN 2024

Beautiful garden!
  18. R

The Home Guard - Geoffrey Bennett and the 39th Warwickshire (Birmingham) Battalion

Absolutely, we get the same! One of the pistol trainers “takes no prisoners” he never gave up until he instilled safety in you.
  19. R

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Ours was: NOR 7614, how’s that for 62 years on :)!
  20. R

Ghost signs of Birmingham

Next door!
Back