• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Tony Darbyshire

J. R. Gaunt & Son Ltd., Warstone Works

I worked for JR Gaunt & Son from October 1963 until April 1964. My job was as an office clerk but I can no longer what I actually did? I remember Mr John (as he was called) as being very personable and easy to talk to. The products they made were excellent and watching the process of button...
  2. Tony Darbyshire

Birmingham Public Swimming Baths

Lyn: when I went there in November 2018 it was all closed up and looking very sorry for itself. Great architecture and I did take some pictures. When I get a minute I’ll post them here. But there was no sign it was being used as a Community Centre I’m afraid and it was chained up and falling...
  3. Tony Darbyshire

Eliot Street School Nechells

Hello Catherine: you were slightly ahead of me at Eliot St as I was there only for a short time before leaving to start work, from September 1961 to April 1962. The PT teacher was Mr John (you added an ‘s’ to his name but it was John not Johns. He had a lovely beard and was not only great at his...
  4. Tony Darbyshire

That’s a lovely school photograph Debsy! Fond memories. Before my time, but so much history in the picture. If only we knew their names now?
  5. Tony Darbyshire

My mum moved house in 1961 from Shard End back to her Nechells roots. We lived on Cook Street and I attended Eliot Street from September 1961 to the time I left in April 1962 when I left to start work as an apprentice compositor for Buckler & Webb Ltd. Fond memories of the pupils I was with...
  6. Tony Darbyshire

Thanks for this. I’ll go and look and see what I can find.
  7. Tony Darbyshire

Thanks Lumpammer. If my memory serves me they’re not too far away from where the Rock cinema was in Alum Rock…though I hope I’m not getting mixed up! Thanks for reminding me about George Arthur Road. Are they still there or long gone?
  8. Tony Darbyshire

As a child and into my early adulthood I often went to three public swimming baths. I learnt to swim in Woodcock Street baths in my junior school years. From memory this was in 1955-6. When I took up my secondary school education at Alderlea in Shard End we frequently went to Woodcock Street for...
  9. Tony Darbyshire

Birmingham Cinemas

As a child my local cinema was the Castle in Castle Bromwich. Many a happy time spent there. Saturday mornings was the ABC childrens’ cinema; Flash Gordon, The Invisible Man (scary!) and a host of cartoons galore. Other picture houses I regularly went to were the Capitol in Stechford, just over...
  10. Tony Darbyshire

Birmingham Cinemas

As a child my local cinema was the Castle in Castle Bromwich. Many a happy time spent there. Saturday mornings was the ABC childrens’ cinema; Flash Gordon, The Invisible Man (scary!), The Three Stooges, Laurel & Hardy and a host of cartoons galore. Other picture houses I regularly went to were...
  11. Tony Darbyshire

Hudson, Buckler & Webb - printers

I worked for Buckler & Webb Ltd. at their Argyle Works on Church St. as an apprentice compositor from April 1962 until October 1963 when I chose, with the company's permission, to sever my indentures. Despite not continuing my printing career I have lots of dear memories of the people I worked...
Back