• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. G

Edwards Ellen nee Seward born 1862

I wonder if anyone else is researching Ellen Edwards nee Seward born 1863 to parents Abraham and Hannah Ashmore. Ellen married Edward William Edwards in 1883 and can be found travelling with her children to New York on a few occasion. When she was widowed she owned a shop in Emily street...
  2. G

Emily Street

Hello, I wonder if anyone knows anything about Emily Street. My great Grandmother had an off licence/grocers shop in 1910. I ive looked at the old photos on this site but couldnt find any of Emily street. Does anyone know what it would have been like? Thanks Gemma:star:
  3. G

Margaret Blake

I wonder if anyone can give me any help. I am researching a Margaret Stagg who in 1868 Married a William Blake in Birmingham. At the Beginning of 1869 they had a daughter born at 7 Buckingham St. By 1871 Margaret was in Birmingham Workhouse but there is no sign of daughter Margaret Jane...
  4. G

Service Record

Dear forum I wonder if any one could explain to me this statement of services for my ancester who served in the welsh regiment. What does it mean 'forfeited' on 2 occasions? Gemma
  5. G

Ada Jane Stagg Burial

Im trying to find the burial of Ada Jane Stagg in 1900 aged 32years. Her Address on her death certificate was Whitehall Street in Bordesley ward. Ive tried Key Hill and Warstone cemeteries but there is no trace of her there. Does anyone know what churches were around this area or cemeteries at...
  6. G

Thomas Hemming, Cabinet Case Maker

Im looking to find a Thomas Hemming in the Warwickshire Trade Directory. From 1841-1871 he was a Cabinet Case Maker. Can anyone help me. Thanks Gemma
  7. G

Stagg/Seward

I wonder if anyone could help me, Im looking for the burial place for Robert Stagg in Nov/December 1845. I have his last address as 38 Palace Road Small Heath. I am also looking for his wives Ada Jane nee Seward who died 17 December 1900 her last address was Belmont Row Aston. Roberts second...
  8. G

Park Road Nechells Almshouses

Hello, Does anyone know anything about the Park Road Alms houses, Nechells, Aston that were in existances around the 1870's and 1880's. I have an ancestor that was living there as a widow. She was described as an Almshouse Inmate, was she unable to leave if she wanted?. Gemma
  9. G

Stagg John , St Georges- Gun Stocker

John Stagg born 1837 lived in numerous streets around St Georges area of Birmingham which I have found from all the censuses. 1861 - 4 court 12 New Summer Street 1871 Back of Farm Street !881 13, 9 House, Hospital Court Street 1891 7Hatchett Street 1881 13, 9 House, Hospital st Court. In all...
  10. G

7th Dragoon Guards

Not sure if this is the right section to enter this question in. Is there any connection with the 7th Dragoon Guards 1850-1860 to Birmingham. I have a relative that was fighting in Pakistan in the Dragoon Guards whilst his wife was back at home in Birmingham although they had previously been...
  11. G

Hanley Street

I wonder if any one has a map showing Hanley Street Birmingham in the 1860's. Gemma
  12. G

pics of Deritend late 1800's

Hello, Could anyone tell me how I can look at some photos or maps of Deritend Aston around the late 1800's, early 1900's. My family were called Larden and were Brass Casters. I would like to see what Aston looked like at this time. Gemma
  13. G

Harborne housemaid

Hello, As a new family tree researcher I've found that my great Grandmother worked as a housemaid in Lordswood road Harborne in the 1891 census. Does anyone know what the pay would be for a domestic servant aged 19. What was this area like at this time? Thanks for any help you can give me Gemma
Back