• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. A

Farm Park - huge boulder

I was born in Dearman Road and played in Farm Park from 1945 to maybe 49/50. Can't say that I remember the boulder but what I think is called the 'black patch' was, during WWII a water reservoir and there was an air raid shelter alongside it just inside the entrance to the park at the middle of...
  2. A

Birmingham Hippodrome

Hello my Babby. What a super response to my enquiry. It must have been one of those shows that I saw but I'm afraid that I can't remember which. At least I'll be able to show my doubters that I am not losing my marbles. Thanks very much. Archie7
  3. A

Birmingham Hippodrome

Can only remember going to the Hip once with my parents and that was post WWII and pre 1950. The only artist I can recall is Susette Tari, her signature tune being Red Sails in the Sunset. No one that I have met can remember her and cannot confirm my memory. Anyone out there who might help? Archie7
  4. A

The Moody Blues

Hello Brummie babby. As ever I'm years late finding items but in the hope that you are still interested in the Moody Blues the following might be of interest. In 1966 I was working with John Lodge and he was undecided about going professional. I told him to do it as if all went wrong he could...
  5. A

Office Starter 2010

Thanks Radiorails and oldMohawk. Having posted my original question a friend pointed me in the direction of LibreOffice, a suggestion that you both endorse. I'll give it a try. Archie7
  6. A

Office Starter 2010

Thank you both for your input. I now understand that there are a number of free presentation programmes available which I will look at. Archie7
  7. A

Office Starter 2010

Computer purchased loaded with Office Starter 2010 giving me Word & Excel. Eventually updated from Windows 7 to 10. Would now like Power Point and thinking that as I had never validated Office I would try with the product code but this keeps coming back 'invalid'. Do I have to purchase Office...
  8. A

Hairdressing & barbering

As ever, only just caught up with this page re Hairdressers. My father, uncle and their father (my g'father) before them had Knight's Barbers in Ethel Street (off New Street and alongside the Forum Cinema). The saloon stretched from Ethel Street to Colonade Passage which was alongside the...
  9. A

Handsworth Technical School

Tim. As you say not much more of interest to add. I went to Golden Hillock Road for 2 years before going to HTS. I did 2years Mech Eng course and then a further year ie 51 to 54. We didn't spend much time at Boulton Road so wouldn't have come across you. I do have school photo for 195? so I...
  10. A

Tillingham Street Birmingham 11

Tim. Don't recall the house numbering system in T Street so not able to help you there. Re the 1939 Register it was a sort of census taken prior to the second 'nastiness' starting. It shows occupants at each address, gender, date of birth, marital status and occupation. If I can work out how to...
  11. A

Tim. Just caught up with this post of yours. I remember Keith getting busted from HTS. I also remember Josephine Normansell! I don't recall being a star but if it was the case it didn't last! Yes, g'father was a hairdresser, the saloon was in Ethel Street and carried on being run by my father...
  12. A

Tillingham Street Birmingham 11

Tim. Back to our coinciding childhoods. My grandparents, Alfred & Eliza Knight lived at No 10 Tillingham St and of course I visited. I've only just come across your #14 post but prior to this I had a chance to peruse the 1939 Register which shows your folks at No 7. You, still being in the land...
  13. A

Hello Tim As ever I'm years out in finding these most interesting posts. Bobby Pritchard and Keith (Piggy) Abbot were both good friends of mine. Bobby lived in Long street and I knew him and his family quite well. Keith is the same age as me with the same birthday date. I'm assuming that it is...
  14. A

waterman

Thanks for that Heartland. I'm still searching for g/g/g'father John. Not too ardently I'll admit but hopefully one day the key will appear. Merry Christmas.
  15. A

waterman

It's 8 years ago but hopefully, Hello John Knight. No relation I am sure but my g/g/g'father was a John Knight. He was a 'waterman' and lived in Gloucester. A later record gives his occupation as 'ship captain' but whether this was on the canals or the sea I have not been able to ascertain. I...
  16. A

Stratford Road Schools

Tim. I see Robroy's comments and it looks like he was 9 years behind us and I guess things changed in that time. I don't recall a school in Farm Rd but we left Sparkbrook in 1951 so it may have appeared after that time. I'm living near Bristol
  17. A

Stratford Road Schools

Hello Tin Eborn. We appear to have had the same educational journey. I too was born in 1938 but thought that I started at Stratford Road School in 1943/4. Went to Golden Hillock for two years and then to Handsworth Tech. In addition to the teachers at Stratford Road that you mention I also...
  18. A

Church Of Christ Sparkhill

Re 3 Highland Terrace. My G/G'parents were living there in 1891 and G/G'mother was still there in 1911, a widow with 2 boarders. My G'mother lived in 93 Dolobran Road when she was married and subsequently my Aunt, Uncle and cousin lived there until 1950's. I visited No 93 on many occasions. I...
  19. A

Church Of Christ Sparkhill

Re David Lilley. He and his brothers are my cousins although I haven't seen them for coming on for 70 years! Their father, Walter was my uncle and I thought that he was the caretaker or Church Warden. I used to go to Sunday School but it was mainly held in the Memorial Hall and not in the...
Back