• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. W

Anson Battalion

I have just found my gt.Uncle James Draper from WW1, after searching for him for 8 years!!! I am SO pleased. I now know that he was in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, and he was killed 7th September 1917, burial Gavrelle, Naval Trench Cemetary. Does anyone have a photo of the type of uniform...
  2. W

Howarth Brothers Herbal Beverages

Pop bottles? Hi padget. I don't have any information for your enquiry, but I do have an old brown 'pot' flagon (?) from Crompton Road, Nechells. 'Howarth Brothers Herbal Beverages. 1941 - Please replace stopper. This jar is only lent and must be returned. It is illegal to use same for other...
  3. W

school trips

This picture was taken on a trip to London from UpperThomas Street Junior Mixed school, about 1964. Is there anyone out there who is 'on' the photo? I am (the girl!) second from the left. On the left is Lorraine and the other girl was Veronica. I think Robert is clutching his case!
  4. W

What uniform could this be?

Could anyone please help me identify this man's uniform please?The photo was given to me by someone in the family. There are lots of suggestions to who he might be, but nothing positive. Many thanks. (Hope this works!)
  5. W

'Rag and bones!'

Every so often the 'rag and bone' man would come along Tower Road - a horse and cart affair. The children would go and pester their mums for something to give to him, so that we could have a goldfish in a bag, or a long twirl of coloured paper on a stick - which we could make lovely shapes and...
  6. W

HP Sauce Christmas Party

Does anyone remember going to the HP sauce Christmas Party? I can still remember the excitement (and noise) of all the boys and girls. Wanting to eat as fast as we could, so that we got to watch 'THE Magician!' He was amazing. He used to put lots of different ingredients into a baking tin - even...
  7. W

Lucas employees

Have recently found out that my gt. grandad - James Roberts, worked at LUcas's, and that he got a gold watch for 25 years service. He died in 1947. A (wild) hope - but does anyone have any details or knowledge of him, or info. about what job he could have done???? All I have found out so far, is...
Back