• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. W

St James The Less Church Ashted

Rupert, what a fantastic read! Thank you very much for posting the contents of these pages.
  2. W

conducters badges

Hi Motorman-Mike I asked my mum if she could remember anything about where her m-in-l worked from. She seems to think Digbeth. She told me a story about my dad, he was run over by a tram when he lived on Marsh Lane, as a child. He supposedly put his head on the track!!!!! She didn't know if his...
  3. W

conducters badges

I have a photo of my Grandma wearing her tram uniform. She looks very smart, with tie/shirt/woollen jumper and heavy overcoat on. I have managed to enlarge the badge on her cap. It looks more 'oval' than the ones already posted. It says 'Birmingham Corporation Tramways' and has the number 237 in...
  4. W

HP Sauce Factory

Hi Dave, no Dad died 16 years ago. I wonder if Pam knew me as well. I used to work in the tea bars during summer holidays to earn some wages. I can remember working in the 'South' tea bar as well as the main one. I also did some time in the little office, counting the takings - which was a very...
  5. W

HP Sauce Factory

Landcrab - you have made my day!!! Yes. It was me that you drove to the Church. I remember that you and dad talked together in the front, and I sat listening to you both!!! Many things have happened over the years. It will be our 30th wedding anniversary this December. So many thanks for the...
  6. W

Howe Street

I have my gt.grandad + family living in 1 court 2 Howe Street on the 1901c, so it was very intereting to see the photo taken on the corner. Thank you Phil. His name was James Draper, with my grandfather - Frederick. I don't know anything really about this area - even though I was brought up on...
  7. W

ROBERTS surname interests.

Hi Mark. Just read your post. I'm also researching 'Roberts' name - on my grandmother's side. If you want to contact me through 'messages' we could see if they are one and the same!
  8. W

First Record Bought?

'The wayward wind', by Frank Ifield.
  9. W

Cafes in and around Birmingham

Astonian - sorry to be so long in replying to you. Many thanks for your comments about our cafe in Park Lane. It WAS a good clean, place. Value for money! Sorry to hear about your Grandfather. We all have relatives!!!!
  10. W

HP Sauce Factory

Lloyd, many thanks for the link. Some very interesting photo's. I particularly liked the one taken from the roof. I wonder how they managed to get them????
  11. W

Anson Battalion

Alan, do you know of an 'easy' text for me to read up on this battle? Somewhere in the level of 'Ladybird' books! Smile. Thanks for the info. to date.
  12. W

Anson Battalion

Lloyd - many thanks for the site. It was very interesting to read about. I wished that I knew what James was 'up to' before being sent to his death in 1917.
  13. W

Anson Battalion

I have just found my gt.Uncle James Draper from WW1, after searching for him for 8 years!!! I am SO pleased. I now know that he was in the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve, and he was killed 7th September 1917, burial Gavrelle, Naval Trench Cemetary. Does anyone have a photo of the type of uniform...
  14. W

Lewis's Department Store

Mum tells me, that when I was about three she took me to Lewis's to get my hair cut - (yes THE wooden animal chairs) and 'Lenny the Lion' was there. She says that when it was my turn to meet him, I screamed and screamed! Well, you would, wouldn't you!!!
  15. W

HP Sauce Factory

Gee Gee Jean - sorry, I don't remember that name. I will ask mum the next time I phone her. I remember playing with a girl called Lorraine. She lived down near the chip shop. Also, a little girl called Suzanne, whose parents had the dress shop, on the same side as the newsagents.
  16. W

Lucas photos

Many thanks mike-G for the photo's. I've been 'naughty' and printed off the first one to take into work tomorrow. We are doing 'People who help us' and this will do very nicely for a 'historical' picture!!!
  17. W

Our First Telly

GER22VAN I don't think we as children did know what it was all about. As always, the media gives & probably gave, the gravest scenarios. All I remember is that something horrible was or could happen to me and to my family. Such was the power of this new media (to us). At the time all I remember...
  18. W

Our First Telly

I think my 'name' has been muddled up with someone else's 'details!'
  19. W

Our First Telly

I don't know which year we had our t.v. I do know that the people next door had 'ITV!!' which I was allowed to go around and watch sometimes. I can always remember - 'Hands that do dishes can be soft as your face', and 'Emergency Ward Ten'. Very daring I seem to remember being told!! When we...
  20. W

Things you made at school.

Hi G.G.Jean. It sounds as if we went to the same school! You started off in the first year, making your green and white checked apron and blue hockey skirt. (Which by the sixth year was PRETTY SHORT!) Then you had to make an applique pencil case etc. What I enjoyed most about sewing, was sitting...
Back