• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. A

Oakley Road School Small Heath

Hi Carol,sorry I have now found Oakley Road Small Heath and as I am sure you know the school is no longer there,Angela.
  2. A

Oakley Road School Small Heath

Hi,Carol, do you mean Oldknow Road which was in Small Heath. I think there was a school and a church which may still be there,but sorry I don't have any pictures,are you local if not ask the Forum again.Angela.
  3. A

Great Russell street

Hi Beresford,do you or your family have any connection with Marston Green as my husband knew a Beresford family in Marston Green before he left there in 1968. My husband lived with his mum and grandmother in Elmdon Lane. His grandmothers maiden name was Brookes and the family were living at...
  4. A

Martin Shaw.

I love watching Who do you think you are ,its so informative and gives you ideas and tips for your own research. Tonight with Martin Shaw was especially enjoyable for obvious reasons, for the ladies ,oh and the views of Birmingham were pretty good too. Key Hill Cemetary looked beautifull...
  5. A

Trying to identify country and uniform

Hi Paul,yes I have thought the same ,the portraits are usually taken with flat dress hat. My relative Frank was killed in France 7 weeks after the D DAY landings and according to Wikipedia those helmets were issued to the British and Canadians at that time. I dont know if Frank took part...
  6. A

Hi Bernard, thanks that is the website I was looking at ,it has a good picture of the helmet.
  7. A

Hi Janice, thanks yes I do know.Angela
  8. A

Hi again Chocks. Well,well ,i googled it and came up with the same thing, now the mystery takes another turn,or maybe it answers our question. I may be going off subject but I would like to tell you all a very sad and sometimes happy story that all you lovers of family history will...
  9. A

Hi Chocs2,thanks very much but I couldn't get the link to work, i will google it. I have have had another idea,i will contact Toms regiment 1st/6th Bn Glosters.Angela.
  10. A

Hi Paul,may I ask why you think that,i will be gratefull for any information as I am trying to find out if he is wearing ww1 or ww2 uniform,so I can hopefully identify which one of my relatives he is,thanks Angela.
  11. A

Hi paul,I can understand why you think that as it looks like he has a moustache but both of my ancestors were English. Were moustaches more common in ww1 or 2? To be honest I think he looks a bit like Hitler(re the moustache). What about the next photo along ,i would be gratefull for any...
  12. A

Paynes shoe repairs

Hi,sorry i don't know anyone who worked at Paynes but I do remember going into the Addison Road shop in the mid 50s with my mum so she could get her stockings repaired. Can anyone coroborate this memory or was I imagining it, we were pretty poor at the time.Angela
  13. A

Hi,thanks Baz,I will get the photograph to my sister a.s.a.p. and ask her to message you as I am on holliday for 2 weeks from next Wednesday. Are you from the Maypole?,i grew up in Westfield Rd off Station Rd Kings Heath,happy memories of tiddler fishing in the canal that crossed the...
  14. A

Hi,this is a question for Maypolebaz. Do you know much about army helmets,could you tell the difference between WW1 and WW11 helmets. I have a photograph of my grandparents at home in the early-mid 1950s and behind them on the piano is a photograph of a man in uniform, the trouble is its a...
  15. A

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Re. post 414, photograph put on by Old Mowhawk could he be a Telegram delivery boy ?
  16. A

Hawleys bakery

Yes, i Googled it and found it was Hardings, easy to get them mixed up I think. I remember one day the bread tasted awfull we found out later that the baker forgot to add the salt ,it must have cost them a fortune and it never happened again,Angela.
  17. A

Hawleys bakery

Hi, everyone, there was a bakery on Coventry Road Small Heath between Cattell Road and Green Lane in the late 50s-early 60s, i seem to think it was Hawleys. There was also the bakery at the Swan Yardley who delivered bread to Wash Lane where I lived but I cant remember if it was Hawleys, the...
  18. A

Thorpe Street

Hi Debs, just found your post,i am researching Nicholls too. My maternal Grandfather William John Nicholls married Elizabeth Crutchley in Birmingham 1918. My father signed on for WW11 at Thorp Street Barracks and went from there in a lorry to Enville Hall,South Staffs for training.Angela
  19. A

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

What a great thread,i really enjoyed looking at the photos and having a smile at the comments. I just about remember High Street like that,the News Theatre,Kardoma Cafe,Marks and Spencers and ,the Co-op on the right side but i only remember Henrys on the left opposite the news theatre i think...
  20. A

Weetman family of Ashted

Hi Irene,i have been trying to contact Ann and Craig since well before Christmas but have heard nothing from them. I have phoned and written to Ann,do you know if they are o.k.,thanks Angela
Back