• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. L

Bennett Family - Nechells

Hello Dawn, I'd just about given up. Thought you'd left the forum. I would love to get in touch with you but I don't know how to give you my email address or phone number, other than just posting it on here but they tell me it's not safe. If you know how to do it please do and we can talk that...
  2. L

3. L

Memories : Essence Of The 50s And 60s

Who remembers the baked potato man and the hot chestnuts at the corner of Stephenson's place and New Street. And the big tin of salt. Great when you'd just come out of the cinema and it was snowing. Bryan
  4. L

High Park Street, Nechells

Ivor, I always found Mr Hill to be a nice man, a very good teacher. Yes the class immediately off the iron staircase was Mr Hill's, The one to the left off that one was the wonderful Mrs Gray and the one to the right as you went in was Mr McAllister's. He only had one eye and wore a leather...
  5. L

I still have two, apart from my modern car which of course is diesel. Bryan.
  6. L

Saltley & Alum Rock

This was the site of the old Coliseum Cinema. My gran used to play the piano there for the silent films. Bryan.
  7. L

Thank you, my Pat had already left by then but her parents still lived there till about 1980. Bryan
  8. L

High Park Street, Nechells

Hello Ivor, Only just noticed this question. I first started at St Clements in 1942 and the iron staircase was there then as far as I can remember, when I was 12 it was my classroom and my teacher was Mr Hill. The playground was for the girls and there were no restrictions on age, the other...
  9. L

Lyn where do you get proper edible dripping nowadays? Bryan.
  10. L

My wife was born in Thornbridge Avenue & lived there until 1969. Went to Beeches Road school and then Erdington Grammer school for girls.
  11. L

New Nechells And Aston Photos

Great photo Lyn, taken from the corner of Thimblemill Lane & Walter Street, by the old BRS parcels depot. Bryan.
  12. L

New Nechells And Aston Photos

The pub is the New Inns on the corner of Stuart Street. Teddy Fenn's butchers shop was the second shop along from the corner of Trevor Street going towards town. Bryan.
  13. L

Midland Counties Dairy

That would be a Co-op dairyman, with the long brown overall. Midland Counties were short white coats. Bryan.
  14. L

Midland Counties Dairy

I was a milkman with Midland Counties Dairy around 1959/60. Based at Manchester Street Depot. My round covered the area, Wheeler St, New John St, Russell St, Villa St, Little King St, Summer Lane, Farm Street & many others I can't recall off hand. Later I progressed to a much bigger and better...
  15. L

Crane Moor Street Nechells

Michelle, I lived many years in Mount Street, which runs parallel to Cranemore Street and had several school friends who lived there notably the Haycox family Arthur was in my class right up to when we left school in 1953. The paint works you mention was Postans paints in Trevor Street and yes...
  16. L

Book: Saltley, Duddeston & Nechells Images of England series

Look up Brewin books and Alton Douglas, his books are excellent, photographs stunning. I have every one of them and refer to them constantly. Good luck, Bryan.
  17. L

Hello Dawn, My name is Bryan and I am probably your oldest living relative. My mom was Cis Bennett your nans sister. Your dad was my cousin. Johnny Hancox . Jakaan is my cousin though I have no means of contacting. I would love to meet you and tell you all about your family. we all lost touch...
  18. L

Hancox

Hello Dawn, sorry I've only just come across this thread. Irene Bennett was my mom's older sister, I think she was born 1914, she had my cousin John born 1935,Roy born 1938, we were in the same class at St Clements School until we left in 1953. Then there was sisters Judy and Yvonne (Bonnie)...
  19. L

St Clements School Nechells

Phil, Only just caught up with this thread. I spent most of my schooldays at St Clements. We lived with my gran in Mount Street, after the house I was born in was war damaged. At that time the school was infant, junior and seniors. I started in 1942 at the age of four and stayed until...
  20. L

Canal Street, Aston

No Lyn, I suspect that the houses on the other side had been demolished before my time, might even have been bombed . Then Whittalls moved onto the vacant site. Beyond Whittalls was the back end of a small factory with the entrance on Lancaster Street and not even a window on Canal Street. The...
Back