• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. J

Incendiary bombs across Birmingham

I have sent him a message. Thanks for mentioning what I needed to do.
  2. J

happy birthday bob davis

3. J

Incendiary bombs across Birmingham

We had an incendiary bomb fall on our shop in Slade Road in Erdington. It went through the roof, burnt through the ceiling in my Dad's bedroom, through his bed and then through the floor to the room below, which had a stone floor. Fortunately for me and for my Dad (who was still at school then)...
  4. J

Our childhood toys

I had so many hours of fun with my Escalado game, sixty odd years ago (which I think was originally my Dad's). It had a metal box base and the track itself was metal, and it moved with the winder. There were 4 lead horses, I often wonder what happened to it.
  5. J

Our childhood toys

My son wanted to be a vet when he was around 11 too, but after my mother pointed out that the animals that he would be treating would be ill, there would be blood involved and that some of them would die, he soon changed his mind. :mask: He's a teacher now. ;)
  6. J

It's Lloyd's birthday

7. J

its mikejees birthday

Sorry that I'm a day late.
  8. J

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2023, 2024

Yes, I have had the same thing in the past too. Unfortunately, a BBC presenter's late mother was subject to the same text scam and unlike us, fell victim to these heartless crooks. It was on BBC Midlands News last night, link below: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-68684193
  9. J

Scams: telephone, email, texts 2023, 2024

I guess i have been lucky with my e-Bay purchases, although I do check the seller's approval rating from their previous purchasers.
  10. J

Pubs in Erdington

The Rose & Crown is @ 294 Gravelly Lane. We used to pop in there on occasion, it was near the old tenpin bowling (Chester Road), that is sadly long gone. A couple of photographs of the inside of the pub below:
  11. J

Me Dads old sayings

There is no evidence that Napoleon said it, but it is attributed to him.
  12. J

Another pub fire

I see that the "owners" have now appealed against the decision to have them rebuild the Crooked House. Of course they have :rolleyes:. BBC Link below: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c84dkv0ez8do
  13. J

Me Dads old sayings

A popular radio show in our house!
  14. J

Clothes & shoes of yesteryear

It took me a while, but I knew that picture range a bell. It reminds me of this album cover from 1977 :):
  15. J

Its Banjo's birthday

16. J

Piccadilly Arcade (once Cinema)

Some further information and pictures on the cinema from the "cinema treasures" web-site below. I must admit that I hadn't previously known, that the arcade was on the site of a cinema (that explains the slant ;)), before I had read through this thread today. It just goes to show that thanks to...
  17. J

Birmingham hotels in the 1960s

The Stork Hotel Corporation Street (built 1883), which was demolished in the 1960s, to make way for the Priory Square & Ringway development:
  18. J

Its chocks2's birthday

19. J

Malcolm Stent

A regular on Radio WM too. Sad news.
Back