• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. L

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

Hi Belinda have only got this as it was filed in spam, yes that's a true picture of both schools. I wouldn't bother with the book a breathe of fresh air as it doesn't represent what I and many others went through at all, it was said in the book they didn't want to write any negatives!!!!. Do you...
  2. L

Guest st hockley

I think the church was the other end to us we were near the betting shop and pub on the corner opposite blooms furniture yard.
  3. L

Guest st hockley

Was mr and Mrs ward Mary and jack? Does she remember our family? Mom Hilda dad John children Jeanette, Peter, Dorothy and Hilda smith?
  4. L

Guest st hockley

We used to live at number 4 Guest street early 60s Smith family opposite the beards? Who,s dad drove a wagon with sheepskins on it and next door to them the Dolphins who,s mom was an machinist down the road on our side was a lady who kept chickens in her house there was the smedleys on the end...
  5. L

Birmingham Open Air Schools - Cropwood, Hunter's Hill, Marsh Hill and Skilts (excl. Haseley Hall and Uffculme)

I was at skilts and cropwood I had my 5 th birthday on the day I arrived at skilts then was moved to cropwood with my sister when I was 8. There were some good times but there was also abuse. It's a joke they take you away from home and you are worse of in care
  6. L

I have a newspaper cutting from the 60's about skilts being a social experiment! So were like rats in a lab thanks so much BCC you wrecked my childhood
  7. L

Thanks so much for all the information pollypops ( love the name) yes I have seen the google map and they are very close together, I have been on the Hunters hill web site and sent a message with phone number so waiting to see if I have an answer.its nice to know that it is used for children to...
  8. L

I am very confused now as it seems that the picture at the bottom 1925 is cropwood and the top one Blackwell court is not Cropwood as apparantly cropwood is now hunters Hill technology college they are not so far apart on the map and they are both in blackwell maybe thats where the confusion lays.
  9. L

is it possible to visit this house and grounds now or has it been taken over for sole use of the scouts? it would be very interesting to see it again.
  10. L

the balcony looks similar but the building looks very different from the one above which is more like the one I stayed in.it was a beaautiful building and lovely surroundings but evil within. young children having to get up at 5.30 to clean their shoes strip their beds, blankets folded at the...
  11. L

omg! this is a blast from the past we slept in bedrooms with double glass doors leading to the verandah in the middle of the picture we all had to sleep facing the same way and if you turned over in the night the person on nightwatch would come and wake you up to turn back, the windows were open...
  12. L

Hi gee-em, I think it was called an open-air-school because a lot of the activities were taken outside, the schools were usually in the countryside i.e plenty of fields and trees and fresh air and in some cases children were expected to sleep on camp beds outside for their afternoon naps...
  13. L

Hockley 1957

I dont recall the floyd's I will have to ask my brother-in-law as he lived in caversham road longer than us . I am suprised that Douglas construction is still going my sister was only 16 when she went to work there and she will be 60 this year! time certainly flys.
  14. L

my sister and I were at cropwood from 1963 to about 1966/7 it was a horrible place very regemented, harsh for young children. I have lots of memories from cropwood. we also went to skilts another open-air-school from 1960/63.
  15. L

Hockley 1957

my elder sister jeanette married a boy from caversham road one of the staits and my middle sister married an irish bus conductor on the 33 route terminal at stones. I'm afraid I dont remember the smarts if my parents were alive they may have done I will have to ask my sister-in law. my dad was...
  16. L

Hockley 1957

my sister jeanette and brother peter went to Harry lucas school with not so fond memories I was a bit younger so went to farm street school and kings rise in between my term at skilts and cropwood even though guest street was classed as slum housing we did have some really good times and long...
  17. L

Hockley 1957

I am new to this site and its a revelation! my family lived in Hockley from about 1958-1965/66 when we were rehoused for the demolition process to build spagetti junction, we lived in guest street and had to share a back garden (patch of grass) with three families including the toilets ( 2) for...
Back