• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. ascspeaker

Congregational Church

Yes, quite likely, we held an exhibition on the subject 2018-19 and then produced a book on the subject. There is a relative of the children's group. which meet every so often. But badly affected by covid restrictions. I don't know about any planned meets at the moment. We have been instrumental...
  2. ascspeaker

Old tram routes in birmingham

Hi, I've transferred over here from Churches You see in this photo a picture of a Tram on the Moseley Road in 1941. date confirmed by the program at the Imperial. Beyond the tram, the twin spires of the Congregational Church can be seen this led to a very enlightening correspondence there. But...
  3. ascspeaker

Congregational Church

I'm JF of the Balsall Heath Local History Society's monthly 'Gazette' I wish to tell the story of the Congregational Church on Moseley Road and to show particularly how beautiful the building was. The 1956 photo of demolishing in progress is in my view treasurable. I would of course throughout...
  4. ascspeaker

Congregational Church

Yes, I believe that is it, a compiling error. The Stoney Lane Congregational Church building being destroyed by a mine does seem to be the likely cause of the confusion and error. Thank you all, you are quite wonderful.
  5. ascspeaker

Congregational Church

The above correspondence proves beyond doubt the Moseley Road Congregational church was not destroyed by bombs during WWII. That is being claimed on this link...
  6. ascspeaker

Congregational Church

MWS, thank you, the site being sold in 1955 would fit in with some known info. The people that ran the Ironmongers on the opposite corner of Runcorn tell me that there was by then (the early 60s) some sort of engineering works on that site. The further mention of it not being used for several...
  7. ascspeaker

Congregational Church

Can anybody help with info on what was the Moseley Road Congregational Church on the corner of Runcorn. I understand that It was completely distroyed during WWII, but cannot find any more detail?
  8. ascspeaker

Hampden Street Balsall Heath

Hi, this message is to all contributors to the above pages about Hampden St. The street is a 'blind spot' on my memory of Balsall Heath. I was raised in the middle section of Mary St Edward Rd/Belfour St. Then in 55/56 moved to the top of Sherbourne Rd (Arter St and upward). I write (volunteer)...
  9. ascspeaker

Orchard Road Balsall Heath

Hello Phil, long time I no write! I found this photo of Orchard Rd fascinating. I lived for about 15 years in Sherbourne Rd near Orchard and find it incrediable that I found no reason in that time to walk down Orchard Rd. I had no idea that it joined up with Belgrave Rd. In the past I have been...
  10. ascspeaker

Orchard Road Balsall Heath

Hello Colin I came across this note of yours about Orchard Road, just need to correct Orchard road history, It didn't disappear as early as the '50s, as it was still there up to the clearance and refurbishment in late 60's / early 70's. We Fitzpatrick's lived in Sherbourne Road between Arter...
Back