• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Qu.Be

Banners At The Bank

From the pamphlet Marks, J. (2001). Handsworth on old picture postcards. Reflections of a Bygone Age. '35. An unidentified group outside a branch of Birmingham Municipal Bank at 206 Rookery Road, Boards, held by some of the group proclaim "Arbitration. Brotherhood, Co-operation and...
  2. Qu.Be

Piers Road Shop?

I've seen a Facebook Image, circa 1900, in the Nhóm lịch sử địa phương / (Handsworth) Local History Group, showing a hardware shop on a corner of Piers Road; the name on the shop window appears to be 'W Duddleston'. The shop is claimed to be on the corner of Soho Rd and Piers Road, but the...
  3. Qu.Be

Girl with Lamb, Handworth Park. Have you seen it around?

Handsworth Park's bronze statue of a girl with a lamb was removed by (to me) person or persons unknown. in 1988. Us Bensons are distantly connected to John P. Walker, the original sculpter, who was the husband of the sister-in-law of our maternal grandfather – no real connection at all, but we...
  4. Qu.Be

Soho Road toy and model shop

Does anybody remember the brilliant toy shop that was on Soho Road in Handsworth around 1970? It was not far from the Grove Lane junction and the premises became, I think, Sketchley's the drycleaners; it was close to the 70/74/79 bus stop heading into town. I have very faint memories and would...
Back