• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Qu.Be

Lamp Tavern Handsworth

'Mrs. Wilkinson disinfects Lamp' Thursday, 23/08/1894, Birmingham Gazette CHURCHWARDENS AND THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES. THE HANDSWORTH DIFFICULTY. After the inquest on the body of Mary Phillipe, at the Lamp Tavern, Handsworth, on Tuesday evening, it was understood that the police would remove...
  2. Qu.Be

Banners At The Bank

That's fascinating - thanks!
  3. Qu.Be

Banners At The Bank

I have nothing official, but the hat styles suggest late 1920s.
  4. Qu.Be

Banners At The Bank

From the pamphlet Marks, J. (2001). Handsworth on old picture postcards. Reflections of a Bygone Age. '35. An unidentified group outside a branch of Birmingham Municipal Bank at 206 Rookery Road, Boards, held by some of the group proclaim "Arbitration. Brotherhood, Co-operation and...
  5. Qu.Be

Piers Road Shop?

I was delighted when I dropped into Google maps and recognised the shape of the upstairs windows
  6. Qu.Be

Piers Road Shop?

It's very unusual! The Piers Road address seems to still be in use; while the area had that slightly shoddy makeover around 1981 and the buildings are getting pretty rundown now, the shop is still standing at the corner of Ashwin Road and there's a ’Piers Road' sign on the garden wall next door.
  7. Qu.Be

Piers Road Shop?

Oh very good! Thanks for that
  8. Qu.Be

Piers Road Shop?

9. Qu.Be

Piers Road Shop?

10. Qu.Be

Piers Road Shop?

I've seen a Facebook Image, circa 1900, in the Nhóm lịch sử địa phương / (Handsworth) Local History Group, showing a hardware shop on a corner of Piers Road; the name on the shop window appears to be 'W Duddleston'. The shop is claimed to be on the corner of Soho Rd and Piers Road, but the...
  11. Qu.Be

Girl with Lamb, Handworth Park. Have you seen it around?

Absolutely. It's not my main area, but I'm going to look into it.
  12. Qu.Be

Me too, really. Used to be taken there by a great aunt when I was three or four. She used to tell me to be a racing car on the path while she sat down on one of the benches. I'm pretty sure that was a way to get a few moments of quiet for her! I'd like to see the statue back where it belongs...
  13. Qu.Be

Yup, it's on that page – thanks, I was having difficulty with the image hosting
  14. Qu.Be

Handsworth Park's bronze statue of a girl with a lamb was removed by (to me) person or persons unknown. in 1988. Us Bensons are distantly connected to John P. Walker, the original sculpter, who was the husband of the sister-in-law of our maternal grandfather – no real connection at all, but we...
  15. Qu.Be

St Stephens Primary School

Dermot. Yeah. Name's familiar now you say it. You were a cheeky son of your mother, IIRC
  16. Qu.Be

St Stephens Primary School

'del' Girona's brother, Tony, Yeah? She was about a year older than Tony, I reckon.
  17. Qu.Be

Soho Road toy and model shop

Does anybody remember the brilliant toy shop that was on Soho Road in Handsworth around 1970? It was not far from the Grove Lane junction and the premises became, I think, Sketchley's the drycleaners; it was close to the 70/74/79 bus stop heading into town. I have very faint memories and would...
  18. Qu.Be

Soho Road Handsworth

The head obviously didn't want you seeing HIM setting up shots on the green baize. I remember there was a snooker hall, but it was way before my time at the grammar.
  19. Qu.Be

Jones Gladys & George shop & licensed premises

That #29 in this picture looks as if it has the line of the guttering at its westerly end that can be seen on the original image. Very nice sourcing! That's a great shot, too.I'm guessing it was taken around 4pm 'in the summer', but it's late and I'm away t'm'pit; unless you've got more...
  20. Qu.Be

Jones Gladys & George shop & licensed premises

They seem a friendly enough bunch, don't they? Wanting to know more, I followed the link and was accepted as a group member. I'm hoping we can get some further images via Walsall-specific groups; I'm looking for higher-definition on the property to reproduce details as enhancing the original...
Back