• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. D

Air Raid Wardens And Police

Thanks for trying Chris. Unfortunately my mother doesn't have any other information. In 1940 he was listed as being a coal merchant and they lived at 141 Moor End Lane, Erdington, and by 1945 they were at 470 College Rd, Erdington. Not very helpful! Regards David
  2. D

Air Raid Wardens And Police

Hello Chris. My grandfather Horace Robert (Bob) Hibell was, according to my mother, head air raid warden presumably for the Erdington area. I'd be grateful if you could check for his name in this book. Thanks, David, South Australia
  3. D

Calthorpe Home For Girls, Handsworth

Reggie, sorry I can't help you. David
  4. D

Hmmm, I have to agree with you about the address, particularly after seeing the 1946 photo. Plus, in the left background of this photo there is a house whose roof matches a house in street view on the other side of St Peter's Rd. Rev. Bunny can have his house back. I've checked out Kellys...
  5. D

Thanks for replying. Please excuse my ignorance (I'm Australian), but what is Kellys? I checked streeview and I reckon it's on the other corner. Have a look at https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2256782/HibellTreeImages/Finney%20Flo%20Calthorpe%20Home%20streetview.pdf which includes two screenshots of...
  6. D

When my great grandfather (Frederick Finney) died in 1906, his wife (Florence Lydia) and 4 children were left destitute. The two eldest girls were placed in Calthorpe Home, 111 Church Hill Rd, Handsworth, where they lived until 1913. The 1911 census confirms that Doris and Florence Lydia May...
Back